Tuesday, May 24, 2022

The Makings of a Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson Doll

After Ketanji Brown Jackson was confirmed as the next Associate Supreme Court Justice, making history as the first African American woman who reportedly was the most qualified nominee, I simultaneously desired a Barbie in her likeness. Hopefully, Mattel will make one, but I couldn't wait.
Internet photo of African American Judge Barbie

In approximately 2018, Mattel released an African American Judge Barbie, but that doll is sold out at retail stores and available on the secondary market at astronomical prices. I would have purchased the white doll for the robe, shoes, and gavel if the price were right.

I tried ordering the white doll from two sites that had it listed for less than $15 with free shipping only to receive an email from both sites the following day that the doll was not available. 


I Can Be Anything Doctor Barbie

My next plan was to use a Barbie on hand and have a robe made for the doll. Initially, I planned to use a Curvy Barbie. I Can Be Anything Doctor Barbie was my first choice.

When asked, Misha Yabrough agreed to make the robe for me with a removable lace collar. I have not seen Justice Jackson wear a lace collared robe, but that might change once she is seated this summer.

Later, I decided that Doctor Barbie's complexion is too deep. The too-deep complexion and the fact that a change of that doll's hairstyle would be necessary (from straight to braids or twists) prompted my search for other suitable dolls with braids.

It Takes Two Barbie "Brooklyn" Roberts


I ordered It Takes Two Barbie "Brooklyn" Roberts. Even though the clothes the doll will wear underneath the robe will not be visible, I wanted to dress her in something that the justice might wear. In my Barbie clothing stash, I found Barbie Basics Model #10's little black dress

Brooklyn wears Barbie Basics Model #10's little black dress

I sewed the plunging neckline of the dress closed and found a pair of black-rimmed eyeglasses and a pair of flat black shoes for the doll's flat feet. 

The ends of the braids were originally straight before rod rolling.


While I waited for the robe to arrive, I curled the ends of the doll's braids using rod rollers, endpapers, and Lotta Body setting lotion. 

An endpaper was placed underneath a few braids at a time with drops of Lotta Body setting lotion added to the braids. Next, the excess endpaper to the right was folded over the moistened braids. 

The end-paper-covered moistened section of braids was rolled under using a mini rod roller and snapped in place.

The process was completed until all braids were rolled.

I left the rod rollers in for several days before removing them. I was pleased with the results.

The hair curled nicely as illustrated in this photo and in the next.
View from the back

I did not remove the doll's freckles. I did attempt to remove one side of the painted-on baby hair (aka baby hairs). It smeared and was difficult to remove using acetone and water nail polisher remover. So, I stopped with that one side. I needed and later purchased 100% acetone to remove it effectively.

The baby hair on the forehead was photoshopped off in this picture, but I eventually removed it all.


A pearl necklace and earrings would be the perfect accessories for the justice, I thought, so I found and purchased this set.

After a few days, the curls fell flat. So, I re-rolled the hair with the rod rollers using Eco Styler gel for a stronger hold.
The flattened curls in a view from the front

The flattened curls in a view from the back

The hair was re-rolled using Eco Styler gel.

With all the baby hair removed with 100% acetone, the hair properly curled, the doll redressed, wearing eyeglasses, the black robe, and jewelry, I present to you my one-of-a-kind Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson doll.

Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson (It Takes Two Barbie, Brooklyn Roberts restyled as)

This close-up of the face provides a better view of the jewelry.

In this close-up, the pearl necklace has been replaced with the removable lace collar that I asked Misha to include.

I now have my Associate Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson doll. Now all she needs is a gavel.

©Black Doll Collecting/dbg

There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.

__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

If you're not already a subscriber, visit, "like" and follow the Black Doll Collecting Facebook page or bookmark the Black Doll Collecting home page and visit on Tuesdays and Thursdays when typically new posts are published.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. She's a lovely creation and tribute to the judge. I also will think about how to make a doll that doesn't exist, or is too expensive for me (currently looking a suitable dolls to be Nanea).

    Again, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Sheila. Sometimes we have to take matters into our own hands to get the dolls we want. Good look finding/creating a suitable Nanea. She's a beautiful doll.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is sooooo clever!!!! Lovely tribute to this great woman.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!