Thursday, September 8, 2022

Robyn from Barbie Life in the City

Robyn from Barbie Life in the City before lip repainting


I decided to give Robyn a closed smile. I also changed the pink stud earrings I gave her previously to yellow. 


Initially, I painted over the existing paint and entire mouth area to remove the teeth using a mixture of dark red acrylic paints.

The red look was just okay but it still seemed a bit off to me.
I thought if I lightened the color that would help, but it did not as illustrated here.

So, I darkened the lip color with a mixture of brown and red acrylics and sealed it with varnish.

After a few days passed, I looked at Robyn and was still not satisfied. I realized it was not the color I had chosen. It was the shape and width of her lips that was throwing everything off. 

So, I removed the paint with 100% acetone to start with a fresh palette.

In addition to removing the teeth, my goal, after starting over, was to achieve a more realistic lip size. To do this, I would not paint the full sculpted width of the lips. 

Even though pink lips on dolls with deep complexions is one of my pet peeves , I used what I had on hand to re-paint Robyn's lips.

I was about to choose a color from a box of oil pastels when I instead used a mauve-pink metallic marker. I had purchased the marker earlier in the week to use for its intended purpose, to write. 

The mauve-pink marker worked well until I filled in the center of the mouth with a gold marker. I didn't like the gold highlight. (I didn't capture that effect in a photograph.)

I used an almost dried-out brown Sharpie to cover the gold area and that is where I stopped. 

These are the markers I used to achieve Robyn's new lip color.

Robyn is shown in a before and after photograph.


I like Robyn's toothless smile and the decreased mouth width.

Ollie's_Dollies on Instagram felt the same way about her Robyn's toothy grin. Right arrow through to the third picture to see the color Ollie's_Dollies achieved.

  
By the way, because I am not a doll paraphernalia collector, I sold Robyn's kiosk. I am happy to have one less thing to clutter the doll room that is not a doll. 


©Black Doll Collecting/dbg

There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.

__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

If you're not already a subscriber, visit, "like" and follow the Black Doll Collecting Facebook page or bookmark the Black Doll Collecting home page and visit on Tuesdays and Thursdays when typically new posts are published.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!