Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Boot Restoration

This Internet-captured photo illustrates how Top Model Nikki's boots looked before my doll's boots began to flake.

Quite some time ago, I discovered that the top layer of Top Model Nikki's knee-high faux leather aqua boots was flaking off, breaking down, disintegrating! I peeled off all the flakes and the remaining top layer with the intention of sealing the knit material that was underneath.
 
I inserted marking pens in the boots in preparation for sealing with varnish.

 
The boots remained as illustrated above, with a marking pen placed inside each to hold their shape while I applied varnish. I didn't get around to doing this until recently after another pair of flaking boots arrived that needed my immediate attention.

Part of the Barbie Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader uniform, these boots had begun to flake in areas.

The flaking cowboy boots from the opposite side are shown here.

With two boots that needed restoration, I was motivated to begin the quick, but necessary restoration. 

Pens were inserted inside the cowboy boots, too. 

The inserted pens served to maintain the boot shape, to prevent the insides from sticking, and to hold while applying the sealant to the outer surfaces. 

Next, I applied thin layers of matte varnish to both boots and allowed the boots to dry after placing the pen-held boots upside down inside two vintage brass napkin holders that had been my mother's.

After the varnish dried, I didn't like the finished surface, so I used Mod Podge for both boots to complete the necessary sealing.

The Sealed Boots

Top Model Nikki's boots sealed well.
The Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader boots also sealed well.

The dolls model their newly sealed boots next.

Top Model Nikki proudly poses in her new (but stiff) boots.

She's thankful that her feet and legs are no longer bare.

Artsy/Desiree posed next. 

Desiree already loved wearing the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader uniform.


She loves wearing it even more now that the boots are sealed.

While the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader ensemble is not her original clothes, Desiree wears it well. The "hot pants" fit her like a glove. 

The girls pose together in this final picture.

©Black Doll Collecting/dbg

There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.

__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

If you're not already a subscriber, visit, "like" and follow the Black Doll Collecting Facebook page or bookmark the Black Doll Collecting home page and visit on Tuesdays and Thursdays when typically new posts are published.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!



6 comments:

  1. I am majorly impressed at ALL your restorations. The dolls you have fixed are just amazing and I like learning new ways to fix things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Michelle! Most of my repairs, restorations, and redos are trial and error, but I'm always determined to complete the task to my satisfaction after developing a plan for each. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is VERY interesting and I am anxious to try your Modge Podge solution. You have tapped into a problem all of us long time collectors have been faced with... the short life of faux leather! I understand why the companies use this method for creating this sort of fabric...it's all about scale (and cost)... I actually did a tutorial on how to use latex paint to create a leather effect. But it doesn't erase the fact I spent a small fortune io IT footwear before making my own (real leather) versions. One pair of boots were so bad, I stripped what was left and re-surfaced them with black glitter. But one by one everything is disintegrating. In any case, thank you for sharing your tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Many of us have spent a small fortune on dolls, shoes, and doll clothing that came with or were created using faux leather that tends to disintegrate with time. It is so disheartening to see these items literally turn into dust.

      I hope the Mod Podge method works for you.

      Delete
  4. hello love this! i've been looking for a solution for this problem. just one question do you have to use both varnish and mod?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you don't have to use both varnish and Mod Podge. Just use one or the other. I like the Mod Podge results better than the varnish.

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!