Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Thrift Store Tianas

Thrift-store-found Princess Tiana dolls

I found two different versions of Princess Tiana dolls at a local thrift store. Both were in very preloved condition. 

I freed them from the plastic baggies, thoroughly examined them, and made note of their manufacturer's marks.

The shorter, 11-inch doll by Hasbro and Disney ©2018 was missing the bottom of her gown and her shoes. The taller, 12-inch doll by Mattel and Disney ©2012 appears to have been redressed. (I've never seen a Princess Tiana doll in a pink gown. Have you?)   

I undressed the 12-inch doll and found clothing items, shoes, and accessories for them to wear.

First, I needed to tackle their hair.

I removed the rubber bands that held their updo styles in place before adding conditioner to their hair and giving it a thorough rinse.


I refashioned their hair into updos using rubber bands. The taller doll's hair fell into a perfect bun while the shorter doll's hair had to be tucked in place.

This view from the back illustrates their bun styles.

Next, their ears were pierced using quilting pins. For the 11-inch doll, I painted yellow quilting pins gold. Light blue quilting pins were used for the 12-inch doll to match a pair of Barbie mules I found for her.

The 12-inch Tiana was the easiest to restore. After piercing the ears, I dressed her in a yellow sweater dress and added light blue shoes that match the earrings.

Next, to add color and accessorize the dress, I attached a child's teddy-bear earring (now a brooch) to the collar.

More time was required to make the 11-inch Hasbro/Disney Tiana presentable.

Because of her huge feet, it took me a minute to find shoes that fit. All of my Barbie shoes were too small. Then, I remembered the few pairs of black shoes that fit Monster High and Stardolls that were purchased a few years ago. 


The Hasbro Tiana now wears the green Sparkle Girlz skirt seen on the left.

Initially, I was going to make a long wraparound skirt using green felt. While looking through my Barbie and similar-size fashion doll clothing, I found a green Sparkle Girlz skirt (seen on the left in the photo immediately above). The skirt had a pink elasticized waistband that I painted gold with metallic paint. I used the same paint for the black shoes. 

The handle of a gold faux leather Barbie purse that was part of a Barbie Basics accessory pack was beginning to flake, so I used the gold metallic paint to seal the entire purse. While looking through the clothing stash, I found an ornate gold Barbie choker, which along with her original crown, helps maintain Tiana's look of royalty.
 
In this profile picture, the newly painted metallic gold purse and the sides of her gold shoes are visible. She looks as though she is marching off to find her Prince.

Here she is again in a frontal view. (Tap to enlarge or stretch the photo to see the choker better.)

Both Tianas pose for this final photo.

Because they are Princess Tiana dolls (Disney's first African American princess doll), I couldn't leave them behind at the thrift store and, for only $1.99 each, I'm glad I didn't. 




©Black Doll Collecting/dbg

There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.

__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

If you're not already a subscriber, visit, "like" and follow the Black Doll Collecting Facebook page or bookmark the Black Doll Collecting home page and visit on Tuesdays and Thursdays when typically new posts are published.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. How cute, the fifth picture down looks like the taller Tiana is looking at the shorter one. You are amazing with their hair. I will have to get a Tiana sometime, but only after I have cleaned the house and have places to display. I would like a toddler one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Michelle. The toddlers are cute. I have one toddler and one baby Princess Tiana and several Barbie sized Tianas.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!