Tuesday, March 14, 2023

New Doll, New Body, Redressed

Alysa Simply Chic, an early Jason Wu fashion doll designed for Integrity Toys (2000), was featured in my first book, The Definitive Guide to Collecting Black Dolls (Hobby House Press, Inc., 2003).


Candi Fashion Forward On the Go (seen here wearing the original fashion) by Jason Wu for Integrity Toys had been on my wish list and part of my eBay searches for years. I gave up on finding this 2003-released doll and removed it from my saved eBay searches because I was not willing to pay sellers' asking prices.

My long-sought-after Candi arrived with a broken neck.

Recently, I was given the opportunity to buy Candi at a price I was willing to pay. Unfortunately, the doll arrived with a damaged neck. The seller sent a different doll as a  replacement and allowed me to keep Candi. My next task was to find a body that would match Candi's.

Not planning to use Alysa's body (seen in the first picture of this post), I decided to see if that doll's body would match Candi's complexion. It did. Still not planning to sacrifice Alysa's body, I gingerly removed the doll's head and placed Candi's head onto the body to see if it would fit. It did. 

The decision not to sacrifice Alysa's body swiftly changed, but she remains whole because I swapped both dolls' heads onto the different bodies. 

While removing Candi's head from the original body, the two-piece knob that held the head in place that also allowed it to rotate, broke apart. I had to fish one piece of it out of the doll's head. Without the neck knob on the old body,  Alysa's head sits too low on the neck, but I decided to use the body for her anyway. 

Alysa's clothes are now on her "new-to-her" body and Mod Podge is layered onto the neck cracks.


Before the permanent swap, to stabilize the cracked neck of Candi's original body, I applied Mod Podge to the cracks and allowed it to dry before attaching Alysa's head. 

Candi arrived wearing the 2001 Holiday Toast Candi fashion with a pair of gold high-heel shoes.

Made of silk-type fabric, the 2001 Holiday Toast Candi Fashion is seen from the front and from the back in this photo.
 
The dress is lovely, but I wanted to see if one of Shasarignis' fashions would fit her.


She looks stunning in this two-piece pants suit by Shasarignis.

I paired the pink pants suit by Shasarignis with a pair of gray high-heels. 

Look at that face! Isn't she gorgeous!

Because I could not remove Alysa's three-strand pearl necklace from the body that's now Candi's, Candi continues to wear the pearls. She is also wearing Alysa's pearl earrings.

Alysa wears her wired pearl bracelet as a necklace now.

I gave Alysa a new pair of larger pearl stud earrings. What had been her pearl bracelet is now a necklace to mask the neck length she lost during the head swap.

Candi and Alysa

Overall, I am pleased with the purchase and with these two Jason-Wu-designed dolls for Integrity Toys (IT). The fact that they both still have IT bodies is a plus.

Oh, wait! Just as I was about to put the dolls on a display shelf, Candi decided she wanted to wear different, more stylish shoes. 

She chose a pink wedge mule.

This is a close-up of the shoes Candi chose.

Dolls will be dolls.


©Black Doll Collecting/dbg

There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.

__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

If you're not already a subscriber, visit, "like" and follow the Black Doll Collecting Facebook page or bookmark the Black Doll Collecting home page and visit on Tuesdays and Thursdays when typically new posts are published.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. I like fashion dolls okay, but they aren't really my thing. However, these clothes are amazing! I don't have to enjoy fashion dolls to know someone has talent for something. That pants suit is so cute.

    P.S. I got MaryEllen and Melody today. I didn't realize how tiny American Girl minis are till I got one in my hand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shasarignis' clothing are amazing. She has an eBay store that I'll share to the link to after she lists more clothes. I know fashion dolls are your thing but those whose thing they are might find the link helpful.

    Congrats on MaryEllen and Melody. The minis make great dolls for larger dolls to hold.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!