Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Darker and Lovelier Liv Alexis


Making Waves Alexis

Before this past weekend, I absolutely, positively did not have plans to buy any more Liv Alexis dolls.  Honestly, I did not.  However, a recent visit to Toys R Us, just to look, changed that train of thought when I purchased Making Waves Alexis.  Compared to the original Alexis and others that have followed, this doll's darker complexion makes her more appealing to me.  It (the darker complexion) and the dark hair appear to reduce the big-head syndrome from which the Liv dolls all suffer.  Maybe it is just an illusion or maybe this is my way of justifying the purchase of a new doll during my attempt to downsize the collection. 

Making Waves (center) is flanked by two debut Alexis dolls

Justification or not, she is here and I really like her. 

Debut Alexis, Making Waves, another debut, and It's My Nature Alexis -- it is interesting how fashions and different wigs/hair can change a doll's appearance.

Because I was in deboxing mode, I deboxed It's My Nature (IMN) Alexis (pictured above).  I have owned this doll for several months but never felt moved to debox her until now.  Thanks to Making Waves, IMN is now free.  I took a additional photos.  Two are shared below.

Color Play:  An inside shot on window sill

MW and IMN, just chillin' -- MW could use a pair of Limbe Dolls' handcrafted sandals.

I took some additional photographs in a different room using different lighting with my camera flash off and the camera set on the portrait feature.  (Click to enlarge any image.)

These dolls share the same complexion -- click to enlarge any of my images in a new window.

I compared the newest Alexis (Making Waves) with each of the above dolls in the following images:



You can tell by their arms that Making Waves' complexion (left) is deeper than It's My Nature's (right).


Select Liv dolls are on sale at Amazon.com this week.  Sales links follow:




Making Waves Alexis is much darker in person than the above prototype image.



dbg

12 comments:

  1. I can't tell from the pics, how many different complexions are there? I would have never bought the dolls to keep whole just because of the big head/big eye thing. The bodies are nice. I used the darker bodies on my Jameelah (HSM Taylor) and Wild About Francie. I just love them now! I noticed that the HSM Gabriella has two complexions too. I wonder why. Maybe that should be my next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ms. Leo,

    There are just two complexions. The debut doll and Its My nature have the same complexion. Making Waves has the deepest complexion. Did you click on the pictures to enlarge them? That might help illustrate the two complexions better. LMK. I'll take another picture (maybe outside if I can stand the heat) and add it later.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I updated this blog by adding additional comparison images.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for these comparison photos, BDE! And the information about the Amazon sale. (I never find Alexis on sale in Philly.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. D7Ana,

    You're welcome. I had plans for one of the Alexis bodies and may still follow through with it. I'm not very good or comfortable with the act of popping heads. We shall see.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Several people have mentioned finding this darker Making Waves Alexis but I haven't seen her anywhere. I wish I could get my hands on one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Limbe Dolls,

    I believe the Making Waves I purchased was the last one in stock at my TRU. I just happened to go there last weekend and discovered they are moving to a new location on September 1st. That was pretty devastating news, because the new location is not as close to me. If I return this weekend (doubtful, but maybe) I'll see if there is another one and get it for you.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely dolls! It is amazing how different the look with the different hairstyles. This makes me want to get more wigs.

    Side note: BDE, I have your first two books (The Definitive Guide to Collecting Black Dolls and Black Dolls). They are my most cherished books and I am an avid reader. I just wanted to take a moment to say job very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Georgia Girl - the wigs and the different complexion can give the illusion of the doll being totally different. The darker Alexis looks very exotic to me.

    Thank you for that very complimentary side note. I am honored that you cherish my books and truly appreciate the time you took to share this with me.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  10. Check out the LIV In Wonderland set. Alexis is the Queen of Hearts. She's very lovely and has a pretty red and black wig.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Wendy,

    I purchased QoH Alexis in January of last year. I eventually gave her away. Thanks for the comment!

    dbg

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!