Thursday, January 24, 2013

Russell's Purdy Nigerian Dashiki

I believe in speaking and writing things into existence.

In a comment to my Russell Williams Goes Back to His Roots post, I wrote, "I need to find or make a no-sew dashiki for him and find or make sandals that fit his feet."

Russell now has both.  

Less than a week after writing this desire into the cyberspace universe, I browsed several vendors' shops on Ruby Lane and found what the seller described as "an authentic Nigerian doll outfit designed and produced in Nigeria exclusively by Purdy."   

Dashiki with sash designed and produced in Nigeria by Purdy.  The company's address is listed on the bottom of the insert as:  Purdy, 52, Palm Avenue, Mushin, Lagos, Nigeria, Telephone (01) 521663.  Graphic design by Exceptional Support Lagos, Nigeria

Said to fit an 11-1/2 inch doll, but not Barbie sized, I took a chance on ordering because I could visualize Russell in it as-is or with necessary modifications.  It was only $5 plus shipping.

Much to my delight, it fits Russell quite well.  It did require some minor adjustments.  The back mid section and sleeves are tapered to give it a sleeker fit and the hem is tucked under to shorten.   No sewing was done; I used double-sided tape.  



Russell Williams and his Purdy Nigerian dashiki and dreadlocks wig by Umoja Dolls
Close up of Russell shows the detailing of the circa 1960s/70s dashiki

As illustrated below, I also made Russell a pair of sandals using brown foam.  Two pieces create the sole and one piece creates the forefoot strap. 




Let's see now; what else can I speak into existence?

dbg

Follow my Dolls for Sale blog

Please visit and "Like" The Doll Blogs: When Dolls Speak I Listen

9 comments:

  1. Don't you just love it when that happens. Congrats!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Mustiwait!

      I am independently wealthy; I am independently wealthy with all my needs surpassed!

      dbg

      Delete
  2. Wow, he looks quite majestic in that outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I am a firm believer in speaking things into existence. Thanks for the remind.

    He looks great in his new outfit.

    I am healed. I am healed and living life abundantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Vanessa! Amen. I stand in agreement with you.

      On behalf of Russell, thanks!

      dbg

      Delete
  4. What a great finding!
    Your guy is absolutely chic,Debbie!!
    And your collection, has in this fashion, something very appropriate for the concept of your job...
    WONDERFUL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jorge! I am glad you like Russell's new look and equally glad that you took the time to comment.

      :-)

      dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!