Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Liebster Award Acceptance and Slight Modification

I was nominated for the Liebster Award by D7ana of A Philly Collector of Playscale Dolls.  

The rules of acceptance are as follows:


  • Post the award on your blog. 
  • Thank the blogger who presented this award and link back to their blog.  Thank you D7Ana.  I appreciate the nomination.  (See the link to her blog above.)
  • Write 11 random facts about yourself.
1.  I have worn glasses since 3rd grade due to a severe astigmatism.  I own several pairs, but actively wear four for different occasions/reasons.  
Computer glasses for near vision only

The glasses in the second photo are are progressive lenses for watching TV in bed and falling asleep (top); outside/inside away from home glasses (middle) and sunglasses (bottom).  The middle and bottom pairs share the same frame style.
2.  I was an honor graduate and made the dean's list in college.
Me at 17, in a head shot inserted under the graduation cap graphics in my memory book
3.  I have worked in the same profession for the past 43 years.  
4.  Thirty-three (33) of the 43 years in the same profession have been enjoyed from the comforts of my home offices.  The current home office also serves as my doll room.

The back of  my small work table is filled with dolls.  Dolls are also on my left, right, and behind me.
5.  I cannot type for an extended period on a flat keyboard.

A one-of-a-kind church doll and framed history; this one was made for my mother for Mother's Day 2014
6.  I make church dolls.  Each one is a handmade, one of a kind.
7.  The first 11 church dolls made were gifts for special people.  I began selling the dolls in 2014.  
8.  This is my second Liebster Award.  
9.  I am one of five children and the older of the two girls born to my parents.  

10.  I love Dreyer's Slow Churned French Silk ice cream, eaten from a tea cup immediately after arriving home with the purchase because the ice cream has softened and I am able to scoop some from the top.  Once it has hardened in the freezer, I can take it or leave it, but there's nothing like eating the almost melted consistency.  Yum!
11.  I dress casually 99.9% of the time.  
The rules continued:

My questions and answers from D7ana are:  
  1. How did you become a blogger? I have always loved to write.  Creating a blog was inspired by my desire to promote my published works. 
  2. What was your favorite subject in school and why?  English was my favorite school subject.  I love words, particularly the English language. 
  3. You can be any doll you want, brought to life. Which doll are you and why?  This is a great question.  Because I would like to be both beautiful and fierce (not taken for granted because of my exterior appearance) my choice is Ajuma by Paul Pham.
  4. What is the coolest story ever connected to your blog?  I am not sure if this post would be considered "cool," but I could almost experience Oprah's surprise as she received a portrait doll from Marie Osmond on the November 9, 2007, Oprah Show.  I published the post some 2-1/2 years after the show aired after stumbling upon the images I captured while watching the 2007 show.  Another post that could possibly be placed in the “cool” category is the final one written about the process of using dark T-shirt transfer paper to transform the face of Big Beautiful Doll Dasia into the likeness of the late Maya Angelou. 
  5. What is your all time favorite movie? The 1959 release of Imitation of Life remains my favorite movie.
  6. What do you do when you are not blogging?  When not blogging, I work a full-time job that requires listening to sound files while reading associated text. These are individual audits which are scored for accuracy with feedback offered to the editors.  I enjoy visits from my grandsons.  Even if I am not in the same room with them, just their presence and doing things for them brings me joy.  In my solitude I read books on my Kindle and/or iPad.  I watch DVR’d recordings of previously televised shows I have missed.  I enjoy networking with fellow collectors.  Of late, my mother has been recuperating at my home from two back-to-back hospital admissions.  This has kept me quite busy and cooking more than I desire. 
  7. What are your Grail dolls/action figures?  An authentic Leo Moss doll remains my sole Holy Grail doll.
  8. What three countries or cities would you like to visit?  My sister has lived in Roanoke, Virginia for two decades and unless she comes home (which she rarely does), I am unable to see her in the flesh.  I no longer take extended trips anywhere, so my chances of going to VA or anywhere else anytime soon are slim to none.  Therefore, I won't bother naming two other cities or countries.   
  9. Is there a project you dream of accomplishing?  I would love to have the free time to complete another book that is not necessarily doll related that will be well supported and read by the masses.  I would also like to overcome my paralyzing fear of flight and other forms of long-distance travel.  This remains a work in progress.
  10. What are your favorite foods?  Pastries are my favorite foods but I do not indulge much.  Every now and then I will give in to the craving for an early morning cinnamon roll or blueberry doughnut.  When made with the right combination of cinnamon and nutmeg I love tea cakes.  Cuisine-wise, I love guacamole and most non-spicy Mexican foods.
  11. Any tips you would give future bloggers?   Tips to future bloggers include:  write about your passion or about anything in which you are well versed.  Make your blog both entertaining and informative.  Always consider your audience and create ways to keep readers captivated; be concise; always proofread, do not publish until you have checked for spelling and grammar errors (Blogspot has a built-in spellcheck feature), add at least one or two quality images to each post that are related to the subject, and preview each post prior to publishing. 

I would like for the five bloggers I nominated to answer the same questions I was asked by D7ana.  *If for any reason any of my nominees have been nominated for this award by someone else recently, please do not feel obligated to follow through.  


dbg

19 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie, thanks again for nominating me :-). It's great to read more about you, it's very interesting. Since I've been nominated by another blogger earlier, I would like to answer some questions here :-).
    My favorite subject in school was mathematics.
    I have more than a few Grail dolls, I should make a list someday :-).
    My favorite foods are Chinese food, some Thai dishes and anything with pasta.
    I agree with your tips for bloggers: writing about your passion is the best way to go!

    Ajuma is a gorgeous doll, and her outfit is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for answering the questions, here, Linda. These awards are nice but can be very time consuming to complete.

      dbg

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed learning more about you. The Ajuma doll is beautiful! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always great to read these questionnaires to get to know everyone a little better! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always helps when the questions are as excellent as the ones D7ana posed.

      dbg

      Delete
  4. Wow! Thanks so much for the nomination. I REALLY never thought I'd get nominated. I want to give this my undivided attention so give me a minute. Again @DBG thanks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Brenova. I look forward to reading your answers!

      dbg

      Delete
  5. Thanks, DBG, for completing this post. I enjoyed reading your answers. Always fun to learn more about fellow doll enthusiasts ;-)

    I've been wearing glasses since 4th grade so we have that in common. I like your blogging tips, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, D7ana! Thanks again for nominating me!

      Yes, it was 3rd grade when I saw the leaves on the trees for the first time. Before that they were just blurry green things on branches. I began having headaches and eye twitching intermittently from side to side (nystagmus) which prompted my mother to take me to have my vision tested.

      :-)

      dbg

      Delete
  6. Interesting how much you and I have in common. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great surprise,Debbie!
    I'm glad you have my blog in a special place of your mind!
    Thank you so much! From here I send my hug!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Debbie,
    These are some interesting fun facts. I have never heard of the movie you mentioned above, I'll have to check it out.
    Your job sounds really nice and it's wonderful to work from home, isn't it? I love that you have all of your beautiful dolls all around you as I'm sure it makes you smile when you see those little faces. I also love being around children (especially my own!) as their energy is so uplifting and positive if you take notice!
    I hope you are able to find your own Leo Moss doll someday.
    Hugs
    Farrah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read this lengthy post, Farrah Lily. I am also guilty of not being able to answer a question with a few words (especially when the answer is written).

      I have enjoyed working from home. I practically roll out of bed and go to work. (Well, I have to do a couple of quick things before I enter the office, but basically...) I enjoy not having to get dressed for work and not having to endure the hustle and bustle of driving to a job 5 days a week. It is a blessing.

      I hope to find an authentic Leo Moss doll, too, that I can afford. I remain hopeful. I just purchased some reproductions made by the woman said to have discovered him, so while I am not there yet, I'm getting close.
      :-)

      Hugs back!

      dbg

      Delete
    2. Correction: The Moss-type dolls I purchased recently (yesterday) were made by the woman said to have discovered his dolls. Moss had been dead for decades at the time his dolls were "discovered" in the 1970s. This woman is given credit as the person who introduced Moss's dolls to the doll-collecting community during the 1970s. I'm sure a blog will follow after they arrive.

      dbg

      Delete
  9. I always wanted to work from home because I thought it would be comfortable and save me money. I took a two month sabbatical once and couldn't wait to get back to an office. I could do without the 30 minute drive though. English (and literature) was also my favorite subject in school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'd feel comfortable working any place else except home, Muff. I'm a loner by nature anyway and work best in solitude. People, coworkers, are always just an email or phone call away and we do have monthly team meetings by conference, so I do get to interact, but working in my bathrobe beats having to get dressed any day. I told them I hope we never use teleconferencing for our meetings.

      dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!