Friday, March 15, 2013

Sixy-Nine Cents Thrift Store Find

Damita, a beanbag doll from Save the Children Collection

Damita was found recently at a local thrift store where I was in search of articulated, dark skinned, playscale bodies.  She stood out among the other small dolls and stuffed playthings as I walked toward the toy section.  Her 0.79 cents handwritten price tag coupled by her mint condition with still-attached booklet were the deciding factors that prevented me from leaving the store empty handed as not one articulated doll was found.

At the register, the cashier gave me a total of $1 and some change.  Frowning, I asked, "How much did you charge me?"  She looked at Damita's 0.79 cents price tag and said, "0.99 cents; that's supposed to be a 9" as she pointed to the "7," on the price tag.

Unsure of herself, she asked me to wait a second while she called to confirm the price.  The person with whom she spoke instructed her to charge me 0.69 cents.

After making the proper register adjustment, 0.69 cents plus tax is what I paid for this cloth beanbag doll from Save the Children Collection by Cavanagh Group International; Roswell, GA, USA, ©1999.   While my purchase did not benefit Save the Children, original sales of Damita and the other dolls in the line generated donations to Save the Children Federation, Inc. of between 4 to 6% of the retail price.

Each Save the Children beanbag doll also features an exclusive pattern designed by Children for Save the Children. The patterns can be found in elements of the clothing design.  According to Damita's booklet, the artwork found on her shirt was drawn by Andre, age 10, and is appropriately named "On the Trail."

Damita's booklet also tells the story of the child she is crafted about.  A snapshots of the child's story can be read below (after clicking to enlarge the images):
 


Additional beanbag dolls from Save the Children Collection can be seen here.  Information about Save the Children and the work it continues to do on behalf of children in rural America and over 120 countries around the world can be read here.

By the way, I would have paid the $1 and some change had the cashier insisted, but the 7 clearly looked like a 7 and was not at all similar to the 9 that followed it.


dbg

Follow my Dolls for Sale blog

Please visit and "Like" The Doll Blogs: When Dolls Speak I Listen

13 comments:

  1. Hello from Spain, lovely doll. Save the children collection is very interesting. In my country there are also initiatives like this. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is a cutie! I don't think I could have walked out of there and left her either ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chynadoll,

      I didn't read Damita's story until I wrote this blog. Now that I have read it, I know I made the right decision to bring the doll home with me.

      dbg

      Delete
  3. Great find! Neat eBay auction widget too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paulette.

      That ebay widget keeps me motivated to have something listed. Perhaps that was also eBay's intent for creating it.

      dbg

      Delete
  4. Damita is cute. That is interesting that they were made in Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi GG,

      These days I am always thrilled to find things that are American made and it is extra nice to know things were made where you live.

      dbg

      Delete
  5. I need to go to thrift stores with the folks I know online, just like you, Debbie. I go to a thrift store, and all I ever find is stuff that is one step away from either the recycle bin or the dumpster. ALL of the folks I know online usually manage to find treasures without looking at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to get into the knack of shopping at thrift stores, miladyblue. Actually it was doll collecting that turned me on to thrift store shopping and the suggestion of an antiques dealer friend who suggested that I should "buy and sell dolls to fund my collection."

      Prior to that, I was never comfortable going to thrift stores because I do not and still do not like rumaging through stuff. The particular one that I frequent or used to frequent on a weekly basis is very organized. In past years I was able to find better doll related items there than in recent, but I don't go there nearly as often as I used to. I went back yesterday to get a sports coat that my husband saw when we were there earlier this week. Yesterday they had a 50% off everything sale. The original price of the coat was $7.99. Yesterday it was $4.00 and is perfect.

      He has a better eye and more patience to thrift shop than I do. If it is not a doll or vintage jewelry (mostly copper bracelets), I want other things to jump out at me as opposed to looking for them.

      I did pick up a roll of wall paper yesterday to use in future dioramas (did I say that?). It was 99 cents prior to the 50% off.

      Thrift stores: You either love them or hate them.

      My children hated them when they were in school because every afternoon after picking them up (after I became a collector), we'd stop at my favorite thrift store before going home. After graduating high school my son admitted that he used to hate going there and hoped he wouldn't see any of his friends while we were there.

      I never knew my hunt for doll stuff there traumatized my child, who has since become a thrift store shopper from time to time for props for his films and other items because he realizes there are truly bargains there.

      When my daughter was in middle school and into her 1990s, dressing in oversized shirts phase, we shopped there together to buy men's polos and work shirts with people's names embroidered on the pockets that she created a "fashion statement" with.

      dbg

      Delete
  6. That's a really cute find. You handled the cashier well, but I know I would have gotten heated about that 20 cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I think I've mellowed a lot, Muff, when it comes to situations like this. But my evil twin will rear her ugly head if provoked. I try to keep her personality under control.

      dbg

      Delete
  7. Damita is cute, and her story is quite touching. Nice to see they are still being sold. I would have asked about the price, too. It's all about the principle.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!