Thursday, May 13, 2021

Barbie Big City Big Dreams Brooklyn

Barbie Big City Big Dreams* Brooklyn arrived in her cellophane and cardstock box.

The back of the box shows two Barbies playing guitars in a nighttime, big-city setting.

Close-up of the illustration on the back of the box

It was the braids and freckles that prompted my purchase of not one but two Black Barbie Big City Big Dreams dolls.


Fashions and accessories for Brooklyn to try on

The fashion she arrived wearing was basic, so I pulled out a few alternative clothes, shoes, and accessories for the new girl to try on including a fat quarter of Black History Month Coiffed Crowns fabric that Instagrammer @vesta2556 informed me about.

First, Brooklyn modeled a Sparkle Girlz dress with black Barbie shoes. I pierced her ears and added Swarovski crystal stud earrings.

Brooklyn's earrings and freckles are seen better in this enhanced photo.

Next, she tried on a denim dress with white Barbie flats.

This denim Barbie fashion is worn with a pair of silver mock-lace-up shoes. The jeans show off her muscular legs.

She paired the same fashion with gold Barbie sandals.


Just as I was about to remove this outfit, Brooklyn struck this pose. Well alright now.

Still posing...

Using the fat quarter of the Black History Month Coiffed Crowns fabric, I fashioned a simple dress for Brooklyn to wear.

Instead of sewing the seams, I used Stitch Witchery and one snap on the side underneath her arm to make the otherwise no-stitch dress shown above and below.

The dress has a side slit. The gold strappy sandals complement it nicely.

I added ear wires to two gold discs removed from dangle earrings to create doll-size earrings. Her gold choker is a metal braid ornament.

Before the new girl arrived, I thought her head sculpt was the same as Nighttime Glamour's (on the left), but she uses a new head sculpt that has the copyright year of 2020.

Made-to-Move Barbie would be a good body fit for Brooklyn's head.

If I decide to re-body Brooklyn, Made-to-Move Barbie's body would be a good complexion match. Someone on Instagram used Gabby Douglas Barbie's body, but I am not willing to sacrifice either of my Gabby Douglas dolls' bodies for this doll. For now, she is going to keep her muscular body. (But that permanently bent arm on the original body might make me change my mind about re-bodying her sooner rather than later.)



She decided to continue wearing the dress I made for her. I think she made an excellent choice, but it's good to know she has suitable options.

*According to YouLoveIt dot com, Barbie Big City Big Dreams is an upcoming animated movie that will be released on Netflix in fall 2021.

Barbie travels to New York City to attend a summer performing arts program and meets—Barbie! Barbie Roberts from Brooklyn is captivating, eclectic, and has been blessed with Beyoncรฉ's voice and Michelle Obama's poise. The two become fast friends, while competing to see which Barbie has what it takes to land the coveted spotlight solo!

Both main characters of the movie, Brooklyn and Malibu Barbie, have been released by Mattel as a singing doll and the regular version (like the doll shown in this post). Singing Brooklyn wears a fashion like the one illustrated on the back of the box. Read more about both dolls, here

dbg


There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.
__________

Thank you for reading. To contact me, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!












No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!