Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Understanding African American History Through the Eyes of Dolls


Jim Toatley sculpted Shindana's Baby Nancy and other Shindana dolls.


This is a cross-post, which is also published in DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum.

Background: Sneha Sureshkumar was a 10th grader at the time she conducted extensive research for the documentary, "Understanding African American History Through the Eyes of Dolls." This was part of the History Day project in her state. Shindana’s Baby Nancy was her inspiration. Using Baby Nancy and other Black dolls, the documentary offers a glimpse at Black dolls as parallel communicators of the past and present African American experience. View the approximately 10-minute documentary below.

Link to the documentary here.

***
After the documentary was graded, I received the most heartwarming email from Sneha. She wrote:
My entire works Primary source is you. Without you this project would never have been possible. You are my true inspiration. I have read everything you have in your blog. Your deep commitment to provide people an understanding on the difficulties communities face because of inadequate representation became my inspiration. Your blog and Jim Crow Museum have shaped my views on how I want to fight prejudice and racism. For that I am very grateful to you.
Sneha's documentary was one of the primary final winners at the state level. After the second round of judging, ultimately, she received "honorable mention" at the state level. I am proud of her efforts and hope that she will indeed fight prejudice and racism when and wherever it is recognized.

For more about this year's National History Day Project, navigate here.

dbg


There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.
__________

Thank you for reading. To contact me, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!