Thursday, June 3, 2021

Chad's New Body

My Chadwick Boseman figure is seen after the head was attached to a body that I attempted to dye to match the color of the head. The hands absorbed too much dye and the body didn't absorb enough.

After the dyeing failure of the above action figure body, I purchased another body for Chad. (The dyed body was either too dark in some areas or did not absorb the dye in others.)

Chad's new body is on the left and the dyed/painted body is on the right. He also received a new red turtleneck sweater to replace the one I made using a black sock. The neck knob of the new body is wrapped with a strip of self-adherent bandage to increase the diameter of the knob and to keep the head securely attached to the body. (Some of the paint scraped off when I removed the snugly fitting shoes from the dyed/painted feet).

The new body came with one pair of feet and four pairs of hands with the fingers in different positions.


Chad's pants are on the body and the feet have been attached.

The complexion difference is noticeable in this closeup of the feet of the new body and the head, but who cares? The shoes will cover the feet.

In this picture, Chad's hands, shoes, and jacket have been added to complete his casual look. (I gave him the set of hands with the index fingers slightly pointing. The real Chadwick Boseman often pointed to people he was photographed with to place more emphasis on them than on himself, as seen here and here.)

In this final picture, he is flanked by two adoring dolls who remain on display with him.

What will I do with the other body? It will remain stored until a head with the same complexion surfaces.

dbg


There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.
__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

4 comments:

  1. I have never tried painting or dying a body. I have done a lot of other body mods for sure, but never that! In this case, you dressed him so well and color mismatch is not noticeable. I love his outfit, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phyllis,

      Dyeing is a chore and I've learned works best on dolls made of the same soft pliable vinyl. When there is a mixture of materials like those used for action figures or Barbies with rigid plastic bodies and soft vinyl heads, the dye doesn't absorb evenly, if at all. For Barbies and other dolls with soft vinyl heads, you can opt to dye the head only and use a manufactured body that matches.

      Thanks for the outfit compliment.

      dbg

      Delete
  2. Oh Debbie--it's so nice to be able to leave comments again. I almost attempted to dye a Fashion Royalty body because the doll I needed a body for (a Barbie: Nichelle-Model of the Moment) had a skin tone darker than most bodies on the market. I was very nervous about dipping vinyl in a vat of hot, but at the last moment I found a proper body for that doll (from their Meteor collection). And you are right, the doll bodies are a composite of different vinyls and plastic, so anything can happen. By the way...there is a new black male doll on the market. He is a drop dead gorgeous AA Adonis doll with dreadlocks and a body to die for put out by a tiny company called Mizidoll. If you haven't seen this doll, do look him up. (He's sold out; I bought one on the aftermarket for a price! But had to have him.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi April,

    It's nice to be able to read comments again. After turning them off, the silence was deafening. I felt like I was writing to an audience of one (myself). It's good to know that you and everyone else who follows are still here.

    I'm glad you found a body for Nichelle. Dyeing can be a tricky task and it's not something you want to do on an expensive doll unless you're certain about the outcome.

    I've seen online photos of Adonis. He is gorgeous! I will probably have to admire him from afar since he's sold out. Thanks for making sure I knew about him.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!