Thursday, June 24, 2021

Barbie Extra #7

Promo photo used on March 8, 2021, on Amazon for preorders of Barbie Extra #7


I preordered this doll based on the above fuzzy promotional photo, which is the only photo Amazon and other sites were using in March of this year. I was so focused on her fat, banded ponytails (or pigtails if you must call them that) that I ordered her because of those (and the articulation, too). 

I was disappointed when I opened the shipping box to discover Mattel used the Nighttime Glamour head sculpt on this doll. I don't dislike the doll. I am upset at myself for allowing the hairstyle to influence the purchase before I knew which head sculpt was used. I actually like this head sculpt, but when a sculpt is used repeatedly, it becomes bothersome for me. All the doll begin to look alike.

I haven't removed the doll from the box, and I am not sure that I will (I haven't removed Extra #1 either and I like her). So the following photos were taken with the doll in the box in an attempt to capture as much detail as possible. (The Pepto-Bismol pink lipstick makes the overused head sculpt even worse.) Do better Mattel.

Barbie Extra - full view taken from a downward angle to prevent flash glare. The box boasts that the doll comes with 15 styling pieces. Barbie Extra #7 uses the Curvy, articulated body.


In this close-up, the pink lipstick is glaring. She wears a sheer lavender star-print peplum blouse that has ruffles along the edge of the sleeves that extend across the shoulders. The peplum blouse is worn with black twill shorts, a lime green faux fur shawl, and metallic silver mock laced boots. Silver hoop earrings, three silver chokers, a silver wristwatch, and a pink oversized ring complete her look. The pigtails of her dark brown rooted hair are banded with multiple colorful bands.

This is a close-up of the silver metallic boots.

Her shades-wearing Pomeranian, its cup, and an extra pair of blue shades* are captured in this photograph.

The back of the box illustrates Barbie Extra #7, the accessories, and three of the other 2021 Extra dolls.

*Initially, I thought the extra pair of shades (sunglasses) would fit Barbie, but according to Frantz Brent-Harris, who has deboxed his doll, "the blue and green glasses only fit the dog, not to worry as i know you are crafty...as the glasses for the dog are way nicer than the the ones for the doll, I used flat jewelry pliers to squeeze the posts of the glasses flat and glued on strips i cut from a black food container for the ear 'handles' it worked surprisingly so well." The glasses, modeled by one of Brent-Harris' Silkstone Barbie's are shown next.

A Silkstone Barbie from the collection of Frantz Brent-Harris wears a modified pair of Barbie Extra #7 sunglasses.

Note to self: Don't be enticed by the glitter and glam before investigating all features offered for future potential doll purchases. Answer to note to self: You probably will.

dbg


There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.
__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

4 comments:

  1. Nuts, I was hoping Mattel had gotten the memo about that revolting matte pink lipstick, but...no. Poor #7, she's a pretty doll except for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RM1986, I don't think they'll ever get it, but we'll both continue to abhor and remedy it, when necessary, won't we?

      dbg

      Delete
  2. Call me old fashioned, but I wish brick and mortar stores were back. It was so much better when you could skip out to Target and look at the doll before buying her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss in-store shopping, too, April. Hopefully, I will be confident enough to do that again in the near future. I just can't do Walmart right now. I might be able to visit Target.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!