Tuesday, April 12, 2022

HarperIman Dolls

HarperIman dolls sold at Target are manufactured by MerchSource, LLC.


In July 2021, I shared a link to a list of Black Businesses to Support that someone shared with me. On that list was only one doll company, HarperIman. In the same post, I shared a link to their website. At the time of that post, the company was taking preorders for their one-of-a-kind linen dolls. A several-month waitlist followed. Not a cloth doll collector, per se, their dolls did not need to become part of my private collection, but I was happy to share information about this mother-daughter doll company.

In December of 2021, I learned that HarperIman had partnered with Target to mass-produce five different dolls (shown in the first photo of this post) that in online pictures seemed identical to one style of their much higher-priced one-of-a-kind dolls. At $34.99 versus $100+, I viewed the Target dolls differently with reference to adding one to my collection.

There was a craze in the doll world amongst collectors to purchase the dolls at Target. Many sold out immediately online and in physical stores and would not return in stock for weeks at a time. Rae seemed to be the most elusive. Some collectors had other people purchase the dolls for them, and as usual, full sets were offered on eBay for ridiculous prices (as much as $1200!). 

Quinn by HarperIman


Quinn arrived in January, and at that time, was the only one of the five dolls I desired. 

Quinn's Excel description entry reads:
14-inch beige linen cloth doll with mitten hands has stitched facial features, auburn hair styled in two side yarn pigtails, wears an off-white African-print crop top, and matching baggy pants with black high-top Chucks-style sneakers. A rust-colored headband adorns the hair. 

Under the Marks column on the spreadsheet, I entered: Has a HarperIman name tag with her story on the back.

Under the Other column on the spreadsheet, I entered: Part of a 5-doll set sold at Target, Quinn is a lover of all animals and wants to be a veterinarian when she grows up.

The text on the back of the hangtag reads:
Hi, I'm Quinn!
What's your favorite animal?
I can't pick just one. I love them all so much!
When I grow up, I'm going to be a veterinarian.
I also really love to dance. I'm always ready for a dance party!
Let's invite all of our friends!

What do you like to do for fun?

I can't wait to go on fun adventures with you. I can already tell
that you're kind, loving, and funny just like me.

I'm so happy that you're my friend.

                HarperIman
Additional Photos of Quinn

Quinn's facial features, red yarn pigtails, and rust-colored headband are illustrated in this picture.


Quinn's African-print crop-top and pants are illustrated.

Quinn wears black high-top Chucks.

A few weeks after Quinn's arrival, Rae weighed heavily on my mind. I wanted her because of her deep complexion and I liked the style of her clothes. I decided that when Target replenished their stock, I would order Rae. The doll returned in stock a few weeks later, but in my excitement to go tell someone I found her, I failed to complete the order! The doll remained in my cart for someone else to purchase. It took me about a week to realize I had not received an order confirmation from Target or an email notification with the subject line, "Get ready for something special!" I checked their website for my recent orders and Rae was not listed. Oh well... I would have to wait it out until the doll returned in stock. About three weeks ago, that happened. I ordered Rae, and she arrived within that same week. 

Rae's Photos

Rae by HarperIman

Rae's hangtag tells her story.
Hi, I'm Rae!

Staying active makes me feel great.
Do you like sports? Tennis is my favorite!
When I am not on the court, I love trying new things.
I would love to spend vacation with friends visiting
different countries and tasting food from the local restaurants.
Let's go together!
The last three paragraphs on the back of Rae's hangtag are identical to the last three on Quinn's hangtag. HarperIman is centered as the last line of text.

In this close-up photo, Rae's black and white headscarf with a twisted spiral knot in the front is better illustrated.

Like Quinn, Rae also wears black Chucks-style high-top sneakers.

I waited until Rae arrived to write this post because I knew that by exercising patience and not hastily ordering at a price higher than retail, the doll would eventually become part of my collection. Haste makes waste is true.

I also waited for Rae to arrive before removing Quinn from her box, the back of which has an image of the HarperIman mother-daughter team and a note from these two creative women as illustrated next.

Cynthia and Kathryn are the mother-daughter team behind the HarperIman brand.

Both dolls are now free. 




After removing them from their boxes, I discovered that both dolls wear lace undies and have a gray HARPERIMAN™ cloth tag sewn to the center of their backs. Their clothing is removable.

The quality of the dolls sold at Target is impeccable. I imagine the same is true about the quality of the one-of-a-kind dolls.

Link to my original post.

HarperIman website



dbg 
(If you have read this post anywhere except Blackdollcollecting.blogspot.com, on my Amazon author’s page, or on my website, it has been copied without my permission or bot scraped.)


There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.
__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

If you're not already a subscriber, visit, "like" and follow the Black Doll Collecting Facebook page or bookmark the Black Doll Collecting home page and visit on Tuesdays and Thursdays when typically new posts are published.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

1 comment:

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!