Saturday, January 7, 2023

Just Like People, Black Dolls Come in All Colors

As illustrated in the above screenshot, the manufacturer of Jesui describes the doll's complexion as  "black."


A reader who identified themselves as one of the research and development marketing assistants for the Queban line of dolls contacted me through the Contact field of this blog stating emphatically that "the BJD doll Jesui by Queban is not a black doll." They ended the email by requesting that I correct this error in my blog post dated July 28, 2022, (find the link below). 

The tone of the email was rather harsh with the person taking a "know-it-all" stance about the doll line. My reply iterated that my post never mentioned the doll's ethnicity. I also included the screen snapshot shown above from the Amazon buy page wherein the doll's complexion is described by Queban as black. This person's email was, therefore, pointless. If they were truly an R&D assistant for the product, they obviously missed the company's intent regarding the doll's hip-hop background (which originated with Black culture) and their description of the doll's black complexion (which is actually caramel).


Jesui has black-rooted hair, blue eyes, freckles, and a caramel complexion.

The intrusive email was brief but the false sense of entitlement that demanded I "correct" the doll's ethnicity did not sit well with me at all. My reply was as polite as possible after "reading" the email and "reading" the writer's overall intent to exert a sense of authority and superiority by demanding I change something that did not need changing.

For that reader and others who see light-complexioned dolls as "not black," the newsflash is this: dolls that represent Black people and others of African descent are now manufactured in all colors of the African color spectrum. 

My mother is shown with her coworkers and the doctor for whom they worked in this February 19, 1988, "reunion" photograph taken a few years after the doctor retired from practice. (Rest peacefully mama, we will always miss your beautiful, graceful, elegant, caring, God-fearing presence.)

Black people (like my dear mother who transitioned on November 25, 2022,—the reason I have been absent from this blog) can be as fair in color as a "white" person and are often mistaken as being of Eurocentric descent. So when you see a doll with a light complexion with blue eyes and freckles like Jesui, don't automatically assume the doll represents a "white" person or that the doll cannot possibly be "black." Also, please don't assume that the person is biracial. My mother was not. The offspring of two Black parents can result in a variety of complexions. 

Like the doll, Black people can have blue eyes, freckles, and pale complexions. If you're uncertain about a doll, ask the manufacturer their intent, but more importantly free your mind from being bothered by the many offerings of dolls of color that are now on the market because there are always more or other white dolls from which to choose, always. More important than anything else, know this: once a doll becomes part of a person's collection or part of a child's playthings, it can be whatever the owner wants it to be— a white doll can even be considered a Black doll's relative. How about that? This is a new day. No longer are black dolls manufactured in two colors only, blue-black or Hershey brown. 

Finally, kudos to Queban for offering affordable brown-skinned BJDs that both collectors and children can enjoy. (And if you so desire, their dolls can be considered white, too.) 

Read the original blog post about Jesui here.

©Black Doll Collecting/dbg

There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.

__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

If you're not already a subscriber, visit, "like" and follow the Black Doll Collecting Facebook page or bookmark the Black Doll Collecting home page and visit on Tuesdays and Thursdays when typically new posts are published.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the condolence, Rebecca. dbg

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMEN!!!! Thank you for setting that person straight. I'm shocked and disappointed that someone from the dolly community would act like a jerk. (Usually everyone is so nice and compassionate.) I am fair skinned with green eyes. On my dad's side, I have a cousin who is fairer than me with naturally straight blond hair. On my mom's side they are chocolate to dark. My family is the rainbow. Furthermore, as you said, the doll can be whatever you decide they are... (I am the master of their universe.) Some of my darker toned dolls are "Hispanic" some are swarthy Mediterraneans. Some of my male dolls are straights, a few are gay. They all keep me happy and that's what counts. P.S. Not that I have any ties with Integrity Toys, but the diversity of their line of dolls is precisely why I love their product line!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for concurring! Our dolls certainly can be whatever we want them to be. In many cases, the manufacturer leaves it up to the buyer to determine a doll's ethnicity by not adding an ethnic label to the doll.

      Integrity Toys does produce a diverse line of dolls. Multicultural playline dolls was their original focus before their focus shifted to high-end fashion dolls. dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!