Tuesday, August 1, 2023

1950s Roberta Walker

1950s hard plastic head-turning walker by Roberta Dolls

This 1950s hard plastic doll attributed to the Roberta Doll Company was offered on eBay for a price I could not refuse. She needed a bit of restyling. What was done to make her presentable was captured in a series of photos, but there are too many to upload and describe in one blog post. So, I created the following descriptive video.


All done!

Based on the original flower in the doll's hair, it possibly was originally dressed in a Hawaiian costume as illustrated in a photo from the Doll Reference site. Many companies during the time this doll was made, used the same brown-skinned dolls to represent brown-skinned people of different ethnicities.   

This is my second 17-inch Roberta walker-type doll. The first one was acquired several years ago. It was curated and added to my virtual black doll museum in January 2023. It is also included in my first black-doll reference, The Definitive Guide to Collecting Black Dolls, on page 23. 

Roberta doll #2 poses with doll #1.

The two Roberta walker dolls pose together and are now displayed together in my doll room. There is a slight complexion difference between the two.

View and read the museum-installed doll's details at this link.


©Black Doll Collecting/dbg

There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.

__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

If you're not already a subscriber, visit, "like" and follow the Black Doll Collecting Facebook page or bookmark the Black Doll Collecting home page and visit on Tuesdays and Thursdays when typically new posts are published.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

4 comments:

  1. The first one looks more blank than the second one. Since they are the same, I don't know if its lighting or a difference of eye paint. Both are too cute though. I love what you have the second dressed in. The sandals are so pretty. The yellow dress on the other one is beautiful. Is that what she came in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I redressed both dolls. The first one wore a handmade dress with the socks and shoes she wears now. I have it stored.

      Delete
  2. If you ever dress her in her homemade dress again, I would love to see it. My Mom made my dolls a lot of clothes, I have a great appreciation for Mommy doll clothes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly will share a photo if I ever redress her in the mommy-made dress again.

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!