Thursday, July 18, 2024

Faux Leather Shoe Repairs

Deteriorating doll shoes and the supplies for the repair.

Repair #1

I am the only owner of a doll that arrived in 2008 with bare feet. I added socks and black faux leather shoes. In preparation for photographing that doll, I noticed portions of the black faux leather shoes were deteriorating. I gathered items that I planned to use to forestall further deterioration and took the above photo and the two additional photos below.

In this closer view, flaked-off areas on the shoes and black specks are visible on my brown-paper-covered work area.


I took the following steps to delay further deterioration:

First, I began painting over the flaking areas with black paint which caused more flaking. So, instead of painting the shoes first and sealing the paint, I used several coats of Mod Podge to cover the entire surface. Each coat of Mod Podge dried before applying the next. 

I didn't have to paint or seal. 

After replacing the ribbon ties in the shoe laces, I took the next photograph.

The shoes have been sealed with Mod Podge and are ready to wear for several more years, at least.

The shoes appear "aged," but the flaking is controlled. 

Repair #2
A second pair of shoes were also in disrepair with the sole detached from one shoe.

Stored in the same container as the other shoes, I discovered the insoles of a second pair of faux leather black shoes were deteriorating. The sole of one shoe was detached, and the strap of the other shoe was loose. At first, I was going to toss these shoes. I placed them on my desk while I repaired the first pair, gave them a second look after completing the other repair, and decided to attempt a salvage.

I repaired the sole of the shoe on the right first.

Using a hot glue gun, I spread glue around the top edge of the detached sole, lined the sole up with the bottom of the shoe, and held both parts in place for a few minutes to allow the hot glue to set.

Sealed insoles

I coated the deteriorating insoles of the shoes with several layers of Mod Podge and allowed this to dry.

The gap where the strap inserts between the shoe upper and the sole of one shoe is visible in this picture.

Next, before inserting the strap, I applied a few drops of Aleene's Tacky glue in the gap between the shoe upper and the sole.

 
The strap is inserted into the gap.

After applying the glue and inserting the strap in between, I used a rubber band to hold the shoe upper and the sole together while the glue dried.

Painting the shoes was the final step.

After the glue and Mod Podge dried, I applied a couple of layers of black acrylic paint to the surface of the shoes and straps. 

 
The final result.

The result is a pair of shoes that look almost brand new. To prevent possible flaking, I may apply ModPodge to the surface.

©Black Doll Collecting/dbg

There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.

__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

If you're not already a subscriber, visit, "like" and follow the Black Doll Collecting Facebook page or bookmark the Black Doll Collecting home page and visit on Tuesdays and Thursdays when typically new posts are published.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. I love these repair posts, it's so interesting to see the items get new life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoy these posts. Thanks for taking the time to let me know. :-)

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!