Thursday, December 2, 2010

One of These Things is Not Like the Other

Photo-of-Prototype photo of Gift of Faith by Laura Tuzio-Ross

Based on the appearance of the doll in the above image, I relented and subscribed to Ashton-Drake's "Gifts from the Lord" miniature doll series by Laura Tuzio-Ross (a series of five different dolls with wicker basket).  The first doll in the series, "Gift of Faith," arrived today.  In the above photo, the doll is precious... absolutely adorable, such a happy, sweet baby, is what I thought and I thought I needed her. 

Unfortunately, and I know this to be true from several past experiences, Ashton-Drake is well-known for mass producing dolls that often only vaguely resemble their prototypes.  Their record in this regard remains impeccable based on the actual appearance of the first doll in this series.

Photograph of actual doll, "Gift of Faith"


Here's a close-up

Because one of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong... here in my collection. 


dbg

Please adhere to copyright notice.

7 comments:

  1. That is a very poor quality doll and would be already pack and on the way back. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's terrible! Thanks for the warning Debbie, I was wavering on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter's comment yesterday before I boxed the doll up to return, "She's cute, but she doesn't look anything like the doll in the ad."

    My point exactly.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you hate when that happens! Does the doll you received at least have 3 ponytails? What a shame, Laura is such an incredible artist, and Ashton-Drake has done her work an incredible disservice! I wanted the second edition doll, the little boy. I'm curious to know how he will turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vanessa,

    Now that you mentioned three ponytails, I really only recall seeing the two as shown in the image. I hope the others look more like their prototypes.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started to buy this doll, but after I saw that she looked nothing like the image shown on the picture of her I am glad that I did not waste my time buying this doll. Thank you so much for sharing this information. These companies need to STOP!!! lying to the customers, and show the actual pictures of what the dolls really look like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish these companies would stop showing images of prototype dolls and artist's renditions, too. It's a waste of a collector's money and time to order dolls and have to return them because they do not look as expected. I refuse to order from certain companies unless I see images of the actual dolls. I've been disappointed too many times.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!