Friday, December 10, 2010

Never Too Old, Ever!

Me in the late 1990s enjoying fewer dolls than I own now

I always cringe when I read or hear a misinformed adult tell a child, "You're too old to play with dolls!" 

What????

I cringe even more when an adult's sanity is questioned because they possess an exuberant passion for dolls or other things incorrectly considered only a child's toy.

Let me make this perfectly clear:

Contrary to these widespread misconceptions, anyone who enjoys the company of three-dimensional, inanimate figures, is never too old to enjoy, collect, play with, or otherwise find delight in dolls.  This includes other items considered playthings:  action figures, model cars, teddy bears, and the like.

If children were not rushed into adulthood by adults or by peers who have already left behind the carefree wonders of childhood, our world would be less troubled.  Girls and boys need to remain children as long as possible.  If holding on to childhood playthings while traveling the road to adulthood gives them pleasure, allow a child the freedom to do this without admonishment.

For those who entered the realm of adulthood prematurely, it is never too late to recapture the pleasures of childhood or recreate missed ones by incorporating doll or action figure collecting into your adult world.  Just do it and have fun in the process regardless of what others say or think.  (Nine times out of ten, the critics are miserable and need a passion, too.)

dbg

Please adhere to copyright notice (do not copy images or text without my permission).

9 comments:

  1. Hallelujah to that, sister - couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. Of course, peer pressure can cause a child to stop playing too. I still remember secretly playing with my dolls when I was about 12 or 13 years old. I would have been humiliated if my friends had found out. I kept them hidden away and brought them out in the privacy of my own room to play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is still a child that lives within all adults. Those of us who aren't afraid to tap into the simple pleasures and nostalgic reminders of childhood are probably the happiest adults.

    BTW, I am waiting for you to get the revelation that you need to open a Doll Museum. Your collection is quite fascinating and should be shared. I will be the first looky-loo in line to view your collection. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs, I totally agree. We are probably the happiest adults who lead less stressful lives as a result of tapping into our inner child or acknowledging it.

    BTW, a doll museum has been on my to-do list for over a year now... actually my desire is to organize something that will work much better for me. Things are in line for it, all I need to do is place a phone call that I have been hesitant to make for nearly a year.

    Thanks for replanting this seed. I need to just do it!

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betty - So sorry you had to secretly play with your dolls for fear of being humiliated by your friends. It makes me wonder, however, if some of your too-grown-to-play-with-dolls friends were secretly playing with theirs, too.

    I am glad you're able to enjoy your dolls now without inhibition.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hear, hear! I agree!

    Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with you Debbie! And yes you should open a doll museum!
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was around ten I desperately wanted a doll that was dispalyed in the local store (there was only one store where I grew up) for my birthday. My mother said those exact words to me "You are too old to play with dolls" Look what she did to me - I play with them for a living now!
    She also told me I couldn't be a ballerina because I had too many scars on my knees. The real reason? She couldn't afford lessons and they were hours of driving away from where we lived.

    Parents sometimes say devastating things to children without really meaning what they say, or having a different meaning to the one the child interprets.

    I didn't become a ballerina.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susie - I agree. Children are very impressionable. Some of the things our parents and others told us and some of the things they did influenced our actions as adults. I'm so sorry you didn't become a ballerina, but making dolls for a living is probably the next best thing for you.

    I did not own a single black doll as a child because my mother felt those available in our area were not true representations of black people. She opted for white dolls for me instead. This is why I became so passionate about black dolls later on in life after first subconsciously collecting them through those purchased for my daughter.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!