I couldn't wait. I knew it would not matter to Grandson #1 if I were a few minutes late picking him up. This would give him more time to fellowship with his classmates in the secure, teacher-supervised setting.
After retrieving a sharp kitchen knife, I opened the box and was met with immediate disappointment. "This doesn't look like Michelle Obama... it barely looks like Ashton-Drake's prototype." I closed the box and drove the 10
After returning home, I removed the doll from the box to examine her with greater attention to detail and to photograph. The results of the examination and photos follow:
- The face is indeed beautiful.
- I like the wig and its style.
- The dress is nice (although I would have preferred silk lining over one made of white jersey knit).
- As illustrated in the first image, the eyes and arched eyebrows are similar to FL Michelle Obama's, but that's where the similarities end.
- The exposed joints make her look like a glamorous and very tall action figure.
- My doll's left elbow joint is frozen -- her arm will not bend in this area as it should... at all.
- The wrists and ankles are not tapered. She has wrankles and cankles!
- The ankles are jointed, but her feet can only move from side to side.
- The shoes are not a proper fit, especially the left shoe. After working with it for a few minutes, I was able to get the shoe to remain on her foot, but the toe of the shoe curls up.
- Her manicure has paint rubs. I didn't bother to examine her pedicure as that would have required removing her black "silk" hose.
I am keeping hope alive that Franklin Mint's Michelle Obama Official White House Portrait Doll will be "the one" I keep.
Oh... while editing the images used for this blog, my non-doll-collecting daughter arrived to pick up her boys. "Diana Ross?" was her puzzled reply to my question, "Who does this doll look like?" After I laughed at her answer she said, "Michelle Obama... I said Diana Ross because of her gown."
Who does this doll look like to you?
Glamorous action figure
She looks like someone, but I can't figure out who.
Nice wig from the front and back
The nail polish/paint rubs may not be visible in this image (click to enlarge), but they are there.
The left elbow joint is frozen -- note the nontapered wrists.
Cankles and curled-toe shoes
Please adhere to copyright notice (see bottom of blog).◦