Friday, December 23, 2011

Giving and Receiving S.I.S OOAKs

As a member of the So In Style Yahoo Group, I participated in a holiday swap.  The goal of the swap was to customize a So In Style (S.I.S.) doll and send it to a designated member.

For the swap, I customized (S.I.S.) Rocawear Grace and received a beautifully refashioned S.I.S. Chandra.  I cannot share images of all the lovely dolls that were given and received, but I can share the images I took of the S.I.S. Holiday Grace and those of my lovely OOAK Chandra that Cynthia Wilson so beautifully customized for me.

Giving...


Formerly S.I.S. Rocawear Grace, meet S.I.S. Holiday Diva Grace, renamed Nikki by her new owner because her dramatic hair reminded her of jazz flutist Nicole Mitchell

Nikki was actually my first boil perm-Afro (with my daughter's former childhood doll being my second).  I was very pleased with the end result.


Because I do not sew, Nikki wears an off-the-rack Barbie Fashionistas Fashion T7481 from Assortment N8328. The shoes of that fashion were upgraded to silver glittery mules from Barbie Basics Look No. 2, Collection 1.5.  The fashion is embellished with a silver shimmery shawl. Nikki's ears were pierced and faux diamonds set in silver studs added.  She wears a silver necklace and holds a silver clutch in one hand and a silver gift box in the other.


Finally, Nikki was presented to her new owner in a silver paper-lined, ivory doll box.  The outside of the box bears her before and after images and the word, DIVA, is attached to the silver box band.  A story card detailing her customization and a doll stand were also included.  The box was gift wrapped in silver wrapping paper. 

~*~*~*~*~*~
Receiving...

I was very pleased that an S.I.S. Chandra was customized for me.  Chandra is one of my favorite dolls in the S.I.S. line.  I just love her deep, rich ebony complexion.  The embroidered fashion Cynthia Wilson dressed my lovely Chandra in enhances her beauty, which is minimally captured in the following photographs.

OOAK Chandra customized by Cynthia Wilson

The lovely Chandra wears a black and gold ribbon-tied top and matching wrap skirt of embroidered material.  Her fashion is accented with gold tone chain link drop earrings with matching necklace and  bracelet.  Gold high heels appropriately add to her new customized look.


As illustrated in the above three images, Chandra also received an appealing up swept hairdo.


The back of Chandra's vest-style top is as lovely as the front. 

Chandra also came with a doll stand.  Along with my lovely doll, Cynthia sent the following note:

I hope you enjoy this doll as much as I [enjoyed] putting her together.  I am a first timer doing anything like this and I like how she turned out. 


Cynthia you did a fab-u-lous job!  I love everything about Chandra!
Because no one else has dolls exactly like these two (or the others that members gave and received), they are now all one of a kind.

dbg

Follow my Dolls for Sale blog

9 comments:

  1. Oh what a cool idea! So much fun! They both came out beautiful! The S. I. S doll is my favorite to redo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful doll! They have great costumes!
    Merry Christmas. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are lovely! You all did really nice creations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These dolls are so beautiful! How did you get the Grace doll's hair to do that? I'm in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone!

    Cat - I used pipe cleaners to roll Grace's hair in tiny sections and gave her a boil perm -- dipped her head in a cup of boiled water for a few seconds followed by a dip in a cup of ice cold water. I allowed it to air dry, still rolled, for about 48 hours, removed the pipe cleaners, and loosened the curls out with my fingers first then fluffed them with a plastic bristle wig-style brush. My technique is a modification of Kristl's tutorial. (I did not zig-zag the hair on the pipe cleaners; I rolled it as you normally would, which is probably why Kristl's doll's curls appear tighter than mine.)

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie, Debbie, Debbie you did an awesome job! She looks fabulous! I love your Chandra doll too. I think that is the first time I've seen her in an updo. Very chic. I almost made it through without tearing up until I read Cynthia's note about being a first timer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vanessa you are something else. I had no idea this post would make you emotional.

    This was my first time participating in something like this, too. Of course you know I've redressed dolls for myself, but never for someone else. It was a little nerve wrecking, not knowing if the recipient would truly like her. But I think overall she did.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chandra is some kind of gorgeous. Elegant and with a sort of pert, listening quality to her. Perfect.

    I have some "practice dolls" coming from Ebay. I will be trying afro hair styling. We'll see what kind of trouble I get up to. I'll probably try one of those boil perms on at least one of them. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is her side-glancing eyes that give her the listening quality you describe. Chandra is my favorite SIS doll.

    I do wish you luck with your practice dolls. Have fun!

    dbg

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!