Thursday, March 1, 2012

Mmm Mmm Good!

17-inch Campbell's Kids dolls by Eugene 1984

This rare pair of black Campbell's Kids dolls have the copyright year, 1984, incised on the napes of their necks. Campbell's Soup Company appears above the copyright year.  The dolls were manufactured by Eugene Doll Company. They stand 17 inches tall.  The heads are rigid plastic with molded hair.  The arms  and legs are soft vinyl.  Their bodies are white stuffed cloth.  They wear their original clothes.

After learning several years ago that these black Campbell Kids dolls exist, they entered my mental doll wish list.  I was able to remove them from my wish list after they surfaced recently on eBay for a buy-it-now price I could not refuse. 

Early manufacturers of Campbell Kids dolls include E. I. Horsman (1910-1928) and American Character (1928-1948).  E. I. Horsman regained the rights to make authorized Campbell Kid's Dolls in 1948.  These early dolls were fashioned after Dolly Dingle paper dolls by Grace G. Drayton, made of composition, and to my knowledge none (given the name Campbell Kids) were black.

"Mmm mmm good" was the slogan used by Campbell's Soup Company from 1978-2010.  "It's amazing what soup can do!" is their current slogan.

Finding a wanted doll is good; finding a pair together is amazing!

dbg

Follow my Dolls for Sale blog

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your find! I especially like the yellow dress the girl is wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great find! They look to be in great shape!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are in good shape but covered with a dirt film. I wiped their heads and faces, but haven't given them a thorough wipe down. I also have to hand wash their clothing before they are incorporated in with the others.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, mmm cute! Would be a good slogan for these little gems, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Words cannot express how much I like this pair of cuties. (sigh) I've always been fond of the Campbell Kids but I had no idea that there were any AA ones manufactured. Your CK's are just too cute for words. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. does anyone know what these dolls are valued at?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I paid $69 for the pair plus $20 for shipping. Hope this helps!

      dbg

      Delete
    2. I might add this: I paid $89 total for my pair because they had been on my wish list for quite a while. What one person is willing to pay for any item does not necessary define the item's worth to "everyone." An item is only worth what an individual is willing to pay for it at a given time.

      dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!