Monday, March 2, 2015

I Am a Doll-Collecting Doll

Black yarn was used to fashion the curly hair of my mini me doll-collecting doll.

Fellow collector, Julia Bush, shared images of several delightful clothespin dolls purchased from Etsy seller, Peggy Spackman.  I fell in absolute love and had to have the seller's contact information after Julia shared that some of her dolls were custom made. 

I sent Peggy the following message through Etsy:

Hello - Can you make an African American clothespin doll that is a doll lover -- she has at least one African American doll? She and her doll have natural textured hair (not straight). I am not in a hurry for it? Thanks!
 Peggy's interest was conveyed in her immediate reply:
I do make African American clothespin dolls. Happen to be sold out of all but one fireman. I only make the hair out of yarn, mostly curled.
Questions:
Would this be a doll or ornament?
Would the doll maker be African American?
Would you want the " dolls" to be African American?
Could I see a picture of this person?
A picture of this person?... Hmmm, I thought.  I wasn't really thinking of a particular person, just a generic doll (not ornament) that loves dolls.  But since she asked, I clarified that the person was not a doll maker, but a doll lover/collector and sent a picture of myself taken with dolls in the background.  I also shared my favorite color with her.

This is the photo I sent Peggy that inspired my clothespin doll's creation.

What happened next was pure magic!

Approximately a week later, the doll was ready and I was given the following preview photo (the background of which is modified). 

Clothespin doll collector doll inspired by a photo of me.

Peggy sent another message asking if I wanted the doll to hold the dolls. My answer was, "Yes." Within another week, my too cute little mini me clothespin doll collector arrived clutching three dolls:  a wooden nesting-style doll, a queen with scepter, and a cleverly crafted bride.  Her metal doll stand was also included.

She and her dolls are just too darn cute!

In her right hand arm she cuddles her wooden doll and queen with scepter.

She holds a bride doll in her left arm.

I smile each time I look at my little clothespin doll-collecting doll. 

Visit Peggy Spackman's Clothesline Cuties Etsy store to view current stock of dolls and ornaments.  Send her a message if a custom clothespin doll or ornament interests you.



dbg

14 comments:

  1. Kudos to he artist who captured an excellent likeness of you and your dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work by the artist to capture you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies for your comments. I-love-her!

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not even going to front, I teared up a little bit at this post. That doll is just so you. The expression on her face, her delight with her little dolls is simply precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww... how cool. Thanks, Muff!

      I love her. (I keep saying and writing this.)

      dbg

      Delete
  5. Adorable!

    There is something about dolls collecting dolls that always makes me so happy. My dolls finally got their own doll, a tiny Lalaloopsy that I found at Goodwill. Miss Loopsy has her own little brush, suitcase, and tea cup, and I... I mean my dolls... can't stop fussing over her! I may even get Miss Loopsy a doll of her own, if I can find one small enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dolls are magical, Sarah. Magical why? Because it is difficult to explain how a three-dimensional inanimate object can bring a person such joy, but as doll lovers, we all know they do.

      I have used dolls as gifts to the elderly. It is magical how the dolls lift their spirits.

      That is too cute that your dolls have their their own dolls. Wonderful!

      dbg

      dbg

      Delete
  6. Wow! The likeness is great! That was a great idea to request for a doll collecting doll. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, GG.

      I enjoy dolls with dolls and the request was simply for that. I had no idea what would result.

      dbg

      Delete
  7. She is so amazing. I love how she captured you and with dolls in your arms, that's just great!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!