Thursday, May 30, 2019

Suggestion for Mama's Tribute Dress

This photo collage dress contains mostly images of my mother placed on the bodice, the front and back of the skirt, and the sleeves.

In a message from the designer of my mother's tribute dress, first seen here and shown above, Sara Bunn of Bunn Funn Collection, wrote:

If you come across a second hand tutu, cut off the top and use the skirt portion as a slip for under the dress. Will help to poof it out a bit and allow for others to see the images a bit better.
This was such great advice and I wondered (having been a reluctant childhood petticoat wearer myself), "Why didn't I think of that?"

I had planned to check my local thrift store in search of a toddler's size 2 petticoat or tutu but decided to check eBay and Aliexpress first.  I found the two shown below:

This one was purchased first from eBay. It helped to expand the skirt of the dress some.  I wanted the skirt to be even fuller and decided to order another one that I felt would provide  the desired fullness.

This multilayered petticoat/tutu was purchased next from an Aliexpress seller.  It provides an adequate amount of fullness but not for the entire length of the skirt of the dress.
The second petticoat/tutu was too short to expand the entire length of the skirt of the dress.  So instead of replacing the first petticoat with the second one, Smiling Debbie wears both!  She is shown wearing these in the next photo.

The petticoats fill out the skirt and allow better visualization of the images.

This is a closer look at the skirt of the dress worn with both petticoats (the shorter one is underneath the longer one).

Because the images on the sleeves and the writing above each were not fully visible, I added Poly-Fil inside the sleeves to poof them out as well.  Both sleeves are shown next.

With Poly-Fil stuffed inside the left sleeve, the image of my mother, me, and my sister is seen better.  The phrase above reads, "I don't have any favorites."

With the stuffing, images of Mama and my brothers can be better seen on the right sleeve of the dress.  The phrase above it reads, "All of you came out of me."
The before and after photos, combined below, illustrate that use of the petticoats and sleeve stuffing achieves the desired effect -- the images can be seen better.


Thank you so much, Sara, for the suggestion; it works (but I know you knew it would)!

dbg


There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.
__________

Thank you for following, commenting, and sharing using the share button below.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

2 comments:

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!