Monday, May 6, 2019

Firefighter Ken

Firefighter Ken

At my husband's suggestion, I purchased Firefighter Ken from the Ken Career series several weeks ago.  After repainting this doll to represent someone with vitiligo, I decided she needed a male counterpart.  At the time of Firefighter Ken's purchase, I knew he would be it. 


Before removing him from his box, the above in-the-box photograph was taken.  I also took a picture of the back of the box which describes, for little ones, the duties of a firefighter and the education requirements. 



After removing him from the box, I documented his attributes including his $7.97 price onto my doll inventory spreadsheet:

12-inch male doll, nonarticulated body, has brown painted eyes, crew cut hair black on the top and brown on the sides, dressed in yellow-tan firefighter uniform with lithographed flashlight and radio microphone in painted-on pockets, black boots, yellow firefighter's hat.  Back of box (now discarded) describes what firefighters do and education requirements.
Next, I undressed this guy and used the same sunkissed peach acrylic paint by Apple Barrel (from Walmart's craft section) that I used on the female counterpart.  For her, I lightened the paint with white acrylic paint. For him, I did not.  In some areas, I diluted the peach paint with water, but for the most part, the paint was applied undiluted to select areas of his face, chest, back, arms, and legs layer by layer.  Each layer was allowed to dry before applying the next. 

Unlike painting the female counterpart, I did not solicit or need help from my husband.  Upon his observation of my partially-completed work, he made one comment, "There you go creating straight lines again."  So I added curves to the "straight lines" he observed.

 
The final layer of paint was sealed with Folkart waterbased varnish.  I used a wedge makeup sponge to apply the varnish, which was extended all over his head, body, arms, and legs to create an even finish. 

Ken's vitiligo is more extensive on his face, chest, and arms.

He has a small patch of vitiligo on his lower back.  The back of his legs is not affected.

The sides of his arms, knees, and mid-calves are affected.
While the varnish dried, the above photos were taken from different angles to illustrate the vitiligo-affected areas.  The head, upper body, and arms were varnished first.  Ken sat overnight on his bottom with his legs outstretched while these areas dried.  After the legs were varnished, Ken stood on the doll stand, as illustrated above, to allow the varnish to dry on the legs.

Getting Dressed
He wears a tank top, shorts, and white sneakers.

He usually wears his sunglasses on top of his head.

The sunglasses mask the vitiligo around his eyes.
Because I did not want to conceal his vitiligo, Ken was dressed in the above casual Ken separates that I purchased some time ago.  He added sunglasses that he prefers to wear on top of his head.


Ken and Friend


He and his female friend posed together for these two final photos.  Their silence speaks volumes.  Both are thinking, I'm looking at the opposite version of myself and I like what I see.

If you haven't already read about his friend's transformation, it can be read here.


dbg


There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.
__________

Thank you for following, commenting, and sharing using the share button below.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!