Monday, March 8, 2021

A Girl and Two Guys



I haven't added very many dolls to my collection this year (it is only March). That trend will probably continue unless a doll is extra special or is one of the few that is on my want list (and that is a very short list). Between January and February, I did add three dolls that I have not written about here. One was a gift from a dear artist friend who shall remain nameless, but she knows who she is. :-)

Barbie Fashionista 161


Fashionista 161

I was initially on the fence about purchasing Barbie Fashionista 161. The overused Mbili head sculpt, the light complexion, and the blonde hair combination did not interest me. But with Amazon Prime cash credits leftover from Christmas purchases, I splurged the $9.99 and free shipping to get this girl. The one they sent had a black scar on the back of one arm. It was returned and replaced with the one shown in these photos.

The facial close-up illustrates her light brown eyes, pink lip color, and middle parted blonde hair.

The straight blonde hair is almost waist-length.

A full-length view illustrates her clothes and shoes.

Fashionista 161 uses the Curvy Barbie body with high-heel feet. She wears a pink and black plaid dress, charcoal see-through ankle boots, and has a yellow waist bag. 

Bubby

Daddy's Long Legs Bubby was a club member exclusive from 1994.

Daddy Long Legs Bubby was a gift. I had mentioned to a doll artist-friend that I wanted a DLL little boy doll from the company's original line (not Daddy's Babies that were released after the company reorganized under that brand). After purchasing Lizabeth, I realized I didn't own a little boy. I was offered this one and accepted him with open arms.

 
Made of resin, Bubby has life-like sculpted facial features.

This 1994 DLL Collector's Club doll is 10 inches tall, made of resin, has sculpted black hair, and brown sculpted and painted eyes. He wears a brown and tan check shirt, blue denim jeans; and because he is an angel, he has white wings.


Bubby's cloud chair

Bubby sits on a white resin cloud chair. He has a hangtag that bears his name and his 1994 Members Edition status as illustrated next.

Bubby still has his hangtag.

The inside of Bubby's right leg is signed by the artist.

Karen Germany (the creator of Daddy's Long Legs dolls) signed the inside of Bubby's right leg. Also written on his leg are Bubby's edition number (#1142), ©1994, and Mem. Ed.

Sue Johnson Male 

A 1987 painted cloth doll by Sue Johnson

As indicated by Bubby's purchase, often one doll purchase leads to another.  This holds true for the next doll. After purchasing my first Sue Johnson doll, a resin girl named Moselle, I wanted to add one of the artist's cloth dolls to my collection. I preferred a girl with a doll; however, this male was available for a price I could not refuse. Initially, the eBay seller offered him in a buy-it-now or make-offer auction. I offered a few dollars less than the buy-it-now price. That offer was declined. The auction closed without bids. It was relisted in a buy-it-now for a lower price than I offered. So, I bought it then. 

This guy has painted facial features and big brown eyes.

This 21-inch male doll has a hand-painted head, hands, black socks, and brown side-button boots. He wears a red heart-print shirt, and blue and white ticking overalls that have a heart on the front made from the shirt fabric. 

The Sue Johnson doll has handwritten identifying marks on the back of both legs.

On the back of the left leg is the artist's signature and ©1987. The back of his right leg has #72 written on it to indicate the doll is the 72nd doll made. The edition number is not included. 

With an original name that is unknown to me, I named the Sue Johnson doll Frank after my paternal grandfather and great-grandfather. I knew Grandfather Frank briefly but never met my paternal Great-Grandfather Frank.

I would like to know more about the artist, Sue Johnson. I have yet to find anything written about her online. If you know about her, please share what you know using the contact field on the home page of this blog. Thank you in advance.

(Happy International Women's Day and Happy Birthday, Mama!)

dbg



There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.
__________

Thank you for reading. To contact me, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!