Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Happy Birthday Barbie! (Updated)

Childhood dolls (all except the one on the far left, which was given to me by my niece)

Dear Barbie,

You and your friends gave me several hours of enjoyable play during my childhood. By the time I was 13, I shunned you. Boys were more interesting and, after all, in my 13-year-old mind, I was too old to play with dolls.

Even as an adult collector, I paid you no mind. My desire was to incorporate Black dolls made during my childhood into my novice adult collection of a mixture of porcelain cookie cutters (beginner's dolls) and higher-end artist vinyl dolls. Eventually, I shunned the cookie cutters and artist vinyl dolls and began to chase after vintage Black Barbies and friends. Alas, you had your hooks in me again. 

I still continued to fight the Barbie collector label by telling others emphatically that "I am not a Barbie collector." I still say this from time to time, but you and Mattel know that when they release you in a melanated doll that becomes a must-have in my eyes, I don't fight the feeling and bring you home.

Happy birthday, girl. You and your friends still look good. You remain the most popular fashion doll among collectors and children to date. No other fashion doll company has met or surpassed your success and doll-icon status.

***

According to Barbiemedia.com and other online sources, "Barbie's official birthday is March 9, 1959, the day she was unveiled to the toy industry during New York Toy Fair. Barbie first appeared in her iconic black-and-white striped swimsuit. Barbie was joined by Ken in 1961."

                                    ***
Below are photos of current gatherings of Barbie's Black friends (girls and guys) along with a few of my favorite Black friend-of-Barbie photos from the past. The final photo is a link to a preorder that might interest other Barbie enthusiasts.

Girl Gathering
This is a variety of Barbies on display in the doll room that illustrates the diversity in complexion, hair texture, height, and body size in today's Barbies.

This is a closer view of the same dolls shown in the previous photo.

A Small Gathering of Guys
Mattel is beginning to diversify the African American male doll offerings. This is a small example of Ken and other Barbie male friends that are on display in the doll room.  (A couple of these are customized.)

This is a closeup of the guys.

Some of My Favorite Barbie and Friends Photos From the Past


Three Top Model Nikki dolls

Redressed dolls: Princess of South Africa; Barbie Basics Model 4, Collection 1 (wigged), and Model of the Moment Nichelle

A closeup of the dolls in the photograph immediately above this one

Redressed Travel Nikki, Fashionista #80, and rebodied Fashionista #93.

So in Style Marisa and Grace and Princess of South Africa (all are redressed, Marisa wears a wig, and Grace has received a boil perm).



Poplife Christie and Halle Berry "Die Another Day" in Poplife Barbie's fashion

A closeup of the Christie and Halle
So in Style Kara and Chandra, Barbie Basics Model 4, and Glam 'n Groom Christie wear hats.

2014 So in Style Fan Club Exclusive Chandra

So in Style Darren is wigged and dressed in Ken's 1970s Playing It Cool Fashion

In this final favorite Barbie and friends photo, Darren wears another wig and models Ken's Fashion Avenue #13567 brown and tan suit.

New Barbie Extra to Preorder

Rush over to Amazon where, as of this writing, a new Barbie Extra doll is currently available to preorder with planned shipping of May 1, 2021. A preliminary picture was posted illustrating a medium complexioned Black Barbie that uses an articulated Curvy Barbie body. Wearing round silver shades, her black hair is styled in two long thick side ponytails that are colorfully banded. A lavender polka dot blouse is worn with dark colored short pants. The preliminary photo has since been removed. To preorder, click/or tap here.

Reference:

dbg


There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.
__________

Thank you for reading. To contact me, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!