Thursday, September 9, 2021

Re-repainted Artsy Fashionista

Repainted Artsy Fashionista

In 2012, I challenged my husband with a bet that he could not repaint a doll's face. Of course, I knew he would attempt to do it, which is what I wanted. Using a thrift-store-found Artsy Fashionista Barbie, the results of this bet are shown above.

After removing the factory paint, my husband used a mixture of markers and paint for the eyes and eyebrows. I used fingernail polish for the lip color (which was not a wise choice). 

Originally, fingernail polish was used for the doll's lip color.

Recently, I noticed the fingernail polish/lipstick had become tacky. A reaction between the vinyl and the chemicals in the fingernail polish probably caused this. I didn't quite like the effect of markers my husband used for the new eyebrows and eyes. So, I removed all of the marker painting and fingernail polish (or as much as I could) with fingernail polish remover. Next, I tried my shaky hand at repainting the doll once again.

I removed as much of the marker as possible, but the marker stained the vinyl. I was able to completely remove the fingernail polish lip color.

Here, I have used acrylic paint to begin repainting the eyebrows, the eyes, and the teeth area.

The eyebrows are completed. The eyes have been outlined, pupils highlighted, and eyelashes (added). I added two beauty marks. Lip color and outlining of the teeth* had also been done when this photo was taken. The entire face was sealed with matte varnish.  (She looks better in person.)

I dressed her in a Sparkle Girlz fashion and Barbie shoes.

One final closeup.

She's not perfect, but I like her new face. 

I need better painting tools for repainting objects as small as 1:6 scale dolls' eyes and I need more paint. My white is too liquidy and some of my browns are clumpy. I'll buy new paints soon and keep practicing on thrift store dolls until I improve my technique. 

*To create teeth, after the paint dried, I used the tip of a quilting needle to scrape away evenly spaced vertical lines of the paint. Next, in the center of the teeth area, I scraped away a thin horizontal line of paint to separate the upper teeth from the lower teeth. 

dbg


There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.
__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

6 comments:

RagingMoon1987 said...

She's not bad at all! Gotta start somewhere!

Black Doll Enthusiast said...

Thank you! I agree... starting is effort. Practice makes perfect.

dbg

TheDollAsArt said...

Repaint doll artistry is challenging. I gave up. However all artists who succeed keep trying. Keep up the good work.

Black Doll Enthusiast said...

Thank you for sharing your wisdom and encouragement. I will keep trying, and I will also be mindful of when and if I should quit.

dbg

Ms. Leo said...

Looks good! I am glad you are back to accepting comments.

Black Doll Enthusiast said...

Thanks, Ms. Leo!