Wednesday, September 15, 2021

World Afro Day

Celebrating the Afro with dolls


Today is World Afro Day, mostly celebrated in the UK with a mission statement as follows,

“World Afro Day is a global day of change, education and celebration of Afro hair; endorsed by the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human rights. We work with families, schools and authorities to tackle discrimination against Afro hair. We carry out research, create events and produce resources to empower people with Afro hair and raise awareness in wider society.”


- Michelle De Leon, Founder of World Afro Day.


dbg


There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.
__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. Though I'm only collecting Integrity Toys beauties right now, my Barbies with the Afros remain among my most coveted dolls! Of them...Model of the Moment Nichelle. Upon seeing her photo for the first time, I knew I had to have her and I paid dearly for her. Whenever people on social media criticize Mattel or go on and on about there are no dolls for little black girls, I post a photo of Nichelle and the date of her creation. I've since bought all of her (older) sisters: Hard Rock Cafe AA Barbie, Top Model Nikki, the Barbie Basics 1.5 Red collection doll with the golden Afro, Barbie Basics LBD with the short Afro and of course, the early SIS Chandra dolls with the natural hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must give "props" to Mattel for creating a nice variety of dolls with Afro-textured hair, and as you've indicated, they've been doing this for several years. Model of the Moment Nichelle graces the cover of my 2nd book. I love her ebony complexion and natural-textured hair. Mattel has released so many others since then and even more in the past couple of years.

    But back to IT, Urban Antoinette Adèle Makéda's Afro wig made her a must-have secondary-market doll for me. I love her (after not liking that face sculpt initially, which is why I had to backtrack and purchase the doll on the secondary market).

    dbg

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!