Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Ideal's Kissy A Dye and Paint Job Redone

A dyed and painted Kissy by Ideal


During the late-1990s, I pined for a non-existent 22-inch Black Kissy by Ideal. After realizing that one was never made, I decided to dye a white Kissy. Before dyeing the doll, I did not realize that hard or rigid plastics would not absorb regular Rit clothing dye. At one point, I was going to sell the doll as is. I did regretfully sell the original clothes and shoes and stored the unstrung doll that I had experimented on.

Watch the video to see what I did with the doll almost 25 years after my failed attempt at dyeing it.



Read more about the different versions of Ideal's Kissy doll here, none of which were Black.

©Black Doll Collecting/dbg

There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.

__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

If you're not already a subscriber, visit, "like" and follow the Black Doll Collecting Facebook page or bookmark the Black Doll Collecting home page and visit on Tuesdays and Thursdays when typically new posts are published.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing story! I've only been tempted to dye a doll body once. That's when I wanted to upgrade my Barbie Nichelle: Model of the Moment doll. I couldn't find a body dark enough and did all sorts of research as to how to accomplish this. But given I could only find a spare body on Ebay, the price scared me out of experimentation. Fortunately IT put out some spare bodies for purchase and their Meteor "Nubian" toned body was the perfect match for Nichelle's body upgrade. Personally, I think you were quite brave to undertake the project of dying a whole doll from head to toe. I can imagine the initial disappointment. I salute you for putting it all away, then "returning to the scene of the crime" to make good. (LOL) She looks really good to me. And even though there is a slight difference between the head and body, essentially you will be keeping her dressed and with clothes on, you really do not notice any difference. Bravo!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!