Thursday, October 24, 2024

Restringing Ginny in Time for Christmas

Vogue Dress Me Ginnys from 1996, 2009, and 2002 fell apart in December 2023.

In December 2023, a trio of Ginny dolls fell apart. I placed them on my "to-do" list (learn how to restring these myself instead of relying on my husband to do it). For over nine months, the dolls lay on a doll bed in the doll room until I finally ordered restringing bands designed for Madame Alexander's 8-inch dolls (because I thought the bands would work for my Ginnys, too, after I viewed a YouTube instructional video).
Another before stringing photo shows the dolls with the 2002 Ginny's head just propped up on the neck.

After the bands arrived, I took one more photo of the dolls before removing their clothes only to discover that the bands would not work!

My Dress-Me Ginnys have zip ties in the arms and legs to attach the original rubber bands used for stringing together.

A zip tie, instead of a metal hook, is in each doll's arm and leg for attaching the original bands (as illustrated in the photo above). The zip tie forms a hole instead of a hook, so an elasticized string, not a rubber band, had to be used to restring these girls.

Fortunately, I had enough 1/8-inch (3 mm elasticized cord) to complete the task. I couldn't take photos of the restringing process because I had to use both hands (and a hemostat) to grasp the cord and pull it through the arms, legs, and heads.

Individual After Photos

2002 Dress-Me Ginny wears a separately-sold Christmas dress.

Vintage Dress-me Ginny from 2009 also wears a separately-sold Christmas dress.


This Vogue Christmas coat, hat, and boots keep this 1996 Dress-me Ginny warm.



As a Whole Group

The girls are whole again just in time to display in a couple of months in this year's Christmas decor as they have been displayed in past years. 

The trio is seen in this photo from the archives and two of the three are in the photo below with other Christmas-dressed dolls.

Christmas Dru, Gingerbread Dru, and a Ginny Boy joined two of the now restrung Ginnys in another photo from the archives.

Related Link

©Black Doll Collecting/dbg

There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.

__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

If you're not already a subscriber, visit, "like" and follow the Black Doll Collecting Facebook page or bookmark the Black Doll Collecting home page and visit on Tuesdays and Thursdays when typically new posts are published.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!