Monday, March 25, 2013

Ashton-Drake's: Michelle Obama Fashion Doll: Inaugural Ball

Michelle Obama Inaugural Ball dolls by Ashton Drake (on left) and Danbury Mint (on right)
Except for her 14-3/4-inch height, Ashton-Drake's doll appears to be almost identical to the prototype advertised by Danbury Mint.  Ashton-Drake has failed to identify their doll's medium in the information provided on their website.  This information is also omitted from the mailed literature I recently received.  So I sent them the following e-mail:

Your website and the mailed literature I received regarding item #302035001, First Lady of Fashion Michelle Obama Inaugural Ball Commemorative Doll does not indicate the medium used.  Is this doll vinyl, porcelain, or other material?  Thank you!
The price is $129.99 or 5 installments of  $26 + S and H of 14.99US, which is slightly less than Danbury Mint's price of 4 installments of $39.50 US.  Danbury Mint's price includes shipping and their doll is vinyl.

Ashton-Drake is not as notorious about producing dolls that are far unlike the advertised doll, but they have been guilty of this in the past.  I would really like to see their production version of  First Lady of Fashion Michelle Obama Inaugural Ball Commemorative Doll before ordering.

I will post an update regarding the doll's medium if AD provides a reply.

***
Updated:  1:00 PM CST:
Reader, Dawn S. pointed out what I missed in Ashton-Drake's description:

"Expertly handcrafted in artist's resin and hand-painted by elite artisans to create a stunning likeness of the First Lady, from her dazzling smile to her chic new hairstyle."

My eyes were looking for porcelain but hoping for vinyl in the AD description.  I never considered this doll would be made of resin, which could be porcelain-like or vinyl-like, depending on the resins used. 

dbg

Follow my Dolls for Sale blog

Please visit and "Like" The Doll Blogs: When Dolls Speak I Listen

Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

  1. The Danbury Mint one looks wonderful. If things were different for me, I would definitely order one. I hope the Ashton Drake one is nice, too. Who knows, I might order one to sit on my work desk. After all, she is my doppelganger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks may be deceiving if history repeats itself. I have more faith in AD producing a doll that resembles their prototype than DM.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that I want to see the doll before buying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those both look like photos or renderings of her so I wouldn't trust either one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, Muff. Both are different images of the First Lady. We (or those interested) will probably all be surprised at how the actuall dolls look.

    It's unfortunate for FL-enthusiasts and collectors unaware of this practice that companies are allowed to do this.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! Your comments are appreciated!