Monday, May 22, 2017

Gabriela McBride has a Mini Version

Stock photo of 6-inch Mini Gabriela McBride, American Girl's 2017 Girl of the Year doll

Last week one of my doll group members mentioned she was on the lookout for the mini version of American Girl's 2017 Girl of the Year Doll, Gabriela McBride. I commented that I did not realize a mini had been released and immediately conducted a Google search for the doll. Interestingly, none were offered on the American Girl website, but I found one on eBay and one at Barnes and Noble's website.

The B and N final price on the date of my purchase was $17.99 (after a $3 Wikibuy) discount was applied.  Shipping was $3.99 for a total price of $21.  The doll usually retails for $24.99.  The eBay seller's price was $22, I believe, and that did not include shipping.

My Gabby McBride
As illustrated in the one photograph I took, the mini doll wears a replica of the 18-inch doll's fashion, which includes a mock-cropped, long-sleeved purple top with the word Dream written on front.  The extended hemline of the top is turquoise.  She wears denim jeggings and purple sneakers.  A pink ribbon accents her long brown hair.  She has light brown painted eyes and two upper teeth, which are painted.  A 46-page abridged book, Gabriela, by African American author, Teresa E. Harris, is also included with the mini doll.

I am considering this second-doll purchase for May a birthday present from me to me.


dbg
Follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black
Check out my eBay listings here.

14 comments:

  1. What a nice birthday present to yourself! I hope that you had a fabulous birthday, and many more to come! Gabriela is very cute. I hadn't planned on buying any more AG minis, but I'm reconsidering now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roxanne. I had an enjoyable birthday.

      Gabriela is cute. Now you have me wondering if she will join the dolls in your collection.

      dbg

      Delete
    2. Yes, Gabriela is on her way. :)

      Delete
  2. I hope you had a great birthday month, she's a cute present.
    Thanks for telling us about this version being available.
    Mini dolls are turning out to be really great buys. I like that they're not too big without being too tiny to handle and dress easily, since they're children they actually look just as good in their own playsets as they do in the playscale ones made for Barbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having a great birthday month, Maricha.

      I particularly like the minis that do not have oversized heads. The AGs do not. These pair up well with playscale fashion dolls as illustrated in this photo taken for another blog post.

      dbg

      Delete
    2. That's true. Oversize heads make it impossible to match them with adult dolls. (That's a lovely group photo, btw :D ).
      I suppose depending on the look the big headed dolls might look OK with MyScene or Liv dolls. So far I've only seen the ones with normal heads in person so it's hard to say.

      Delete
    3. I never thought about pairing up the minis with oversized heads with a LIV or Moxie Teenz. The two My Scene Madison dolls I am keeping are remain in their boxes. I have others listed on eBay that I no longer want to keep.

      dbg

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday! :)

    It's always great to see new AG mini dolls - in a lot of ways I think they're more fun than their full size versions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, jSarie!

      I know you have a few minis in your eclectic doll family. They truly are more fun than their larger counterparts. Most dolls that require a minimal amount of space will get a thumb's up from me.

      dbg

      Delete
  4. I'm about to go check out B& N! Sounds like the AG store is not carrying this doll I find that weird!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AG.com does not carry mini Gabriela. The doll has been on the market (at B&N and other vendors) for several months but there is no mention of it on the AG website. Nothing. I stumbled up on mine after someone said they purchased theirs on eBay. I did a quick Google search and found the one I purchased at B&N.

      AG has not given Gabriela the fanfare that other girls of the year dolls have received and I wonder why. Why would not all products be given the same marketing push? Why?

      dbg

      Delete
    2. The only thing I know they are doing for her that they haven't done before is they are not stopping sales or production at end of year .. there will be an extend time to purchase the doll. Reason being... many kids where getting the dolls as Xmas gifts but it was soon pulled from the store right at the end of the year and so they had no chance to purchase accessories and other items for the doll. The main complaint I have heard about this doll is that 1 they already had so many dancers and the loft bed .. basically people are complaining about this not being an original concept... and also the fact that the doll really does not have much compare her to LEA or Grace .. they had way more accessories.. Well I don't have a problem with her being a dancer besides its what many girls of color love to do .. I love the fact she's a poet and performs spoken word was very popular and helped spawn the Neo Soul movement in the Philly area... Lastly, her bed to be is no doubt infulences by the late 80s early 90s. Reminds me of A Different WOrld. I don't under stand why they don't sell the doll in the store seems like they would sell like hot cakes. I just don't understand. and why B&N and not Target ? Lea was sold in Target. Maybe they are testing waters.. Melody was at Walmart... Ive noticed the little girls in the store love her chair and head phones. She has some cute stuff!

      Delete
    3. The extended time to buy Gabby should be helpful, particularly for parents who desire to buy the doll for their girls for Christmas. The minis would do well in stores like Target.

      dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!