Friday, August 19, 2022

Estrela's Classic Susi On the Swing of the Track

Classic Susi On the Swing of the Track, is a reproduction of Estrela's 1974 Susi. The many ways Susi No Balanco Da Pista can be posed are illustrated on the back of the box.

Made and sold only in Brazil, the Estrela company has relaunched the 1974 version of their 12-inch Tammy look-a-like, Susi On the Swing of the Track (No Balanco Da Pista). I purchased my doll from an eBay seller at probably three times the doll's retail in Brazil. I know I was price-gouged, but I wanted to add Susi to my collection. So, I bit the bullet. To ease the pain of the gouge, shipping was free (that alone would have cost an extra $38). So, I don't feel so bad about the price I paid.

My Introduction to Susi


A 1970s Susi by Estrela is seen in a photo shared by Rossano Gomes.

I was first introduced to Susi by Rossano Gomes in September 2009, who shared the above photo of his redressed 1970s Susi by Estrela. About his Susi, Rossano wrote:

Estrela first produced SUSI in the 60's as a reproduction of Ideal Tammy and there were only white Susi dolls. In the 70's Estrela changed the doll face and put glass eyes in it and produced the black Susi(s) dolls. They are very rare (I only knew about 4 of them in all my life-) and I bought 1 of them ([see my] first picture).
Informed of the Susi Relaunch

In late July 2022, Facebook doll-friend, Denise Tortorici Farinsky, informed me that Estrela was going to reproduce Black Susi. I waited with bated breath for further information and joined a Facebook Susi group to obtain additional information about the doll's relaunch. 

My Susi

My doll was packed with care and shipped promptly.

Susi traveled from Brazil secured inside her original box that was nested inside a cardboard manufacturer's box with an extra layer of thicker cardboard wrapped around it and bubble-wrap-lined plastic as the outer layer.


"Susi Classica" is on the front of the manufacturer's box (as seen in this picture after the extra cardboard for shipping protection and the top layer of bubble wrap were removed).

The back of this box lists three versions of Susi with stock numbers and the dolls' names. No Balanco Da Pista, which means On the Swing of the Track, is checked.

Zoomed-in view of the back of the box

This is one of Susi's first photos out of the shipper.

Susi's box does not have a cellophane pane, which makes it easy to photograph the doll in the box.

A close-up of her lovely face while still attached to the box liner was taken.

Susi wears a stylish replica of her original 1974 fashion.

A doll stand is included.


A child-size silver bracelet with a pearl embellishment is also included with Susi.


Her curly Afro, her heavy blue eyeshadow, her amber-colored stationary eyes, and Susi's coral lip color were all en vogue in 1974.

Classic Susi poses for a height comparison with a 1960s Tammy that I dyed and painted brown several years ago. 

As illustrated in the photo above of Classic Susi, she is taller than Ideal's Tammy from the 1960s by about half an inch or more. Susi's curly hair adds to her height. 

Like Ideal's Tammy, Classic Susi has flat feet and a teen body. She was not designed to be a mature-bodied doll like Mattel's Barbie.

I am thoroughly pleased that Susi is almost an exact replica of the 1974 Susi On the Swing of the Track. From her soft curly well-rooted 'fro, her heavy blue eye-shadow, and '70s fashion, I love Susi from head to toe. 

Read Susi's curated installation in DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum here where a full description of the doll and additional information about the Susi brand is documented.


©Black Doll Collecting/dbg

There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.

__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

If you're not already a subscriber, visit, "like" and follow the Black Doll Collecting Facebook page or bookmark the Black Doll Collecting home page and visit on Tuesdays and Thursdays when typically new posts are published.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!