Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Black Dolls Exhibition Opening Weekend

Black Dolls exhibit at The Strong National Museum of Play


The Black Dolls exhibit from the collection of Debra Neff that was on display at the New-York Historical Society last year has now traveled to The Strong National Museum of Play in Rochester, NY. It opens at The Strong on September 23, 2023, and will run through January 7, 2024. The image above and the two that follow this paragraph were copied from an email announcement from The Strong.



Additionally, I was asked and agreed to once again loan my black and white versions of Effanbee's 1968 Twinkie dolls for a special exhibit detailing their role (via Drs. Kenneth and Mamie Clark's Dolls Test) in the U.S. Supreme Court's 1954 decision to end school segregation in U.S. Schools. (The Clarks used several dolls from the 1940s through the 1980s; Effanbee's Twinkie dolls are the last known dolls used by the Clarks in their Dolls Test.) My Twinkie dolls had also been on display when the exhibition was at the N-Y Historical Society from February 24, 2022, through June 5, 2022. 

The two Twinkies traveled to New York again on August 22, 2023, where they will remain until the current exhibition at The Strong ends on January 7, 2024.

I captured photo documentation of the dolls' preparation for departure as follows.

The shipping box used to return the Twinkies to me after their N-Y Historical Society exhibition was used for their return trip to New York.

I wrapped each Twinkie in tissue paper.

The tissue-paper-wrapped dolls were placed inside foam cutouts.

Once inside the foam cutouts, I covered each doll with the top of its foam cutout.

I covered the dolls with a top layer of foam.

Next, a styrofoam cover sheet was inserted.

Placing the box top on the shipper and taping it in place was the last thing I did before the dolls were picked up. I did not photograph the box with the top in place.

After the dolls were on the delivery truck, the transporters remained in the truck cab for several minutes before driving off. Attempting to be inconspicuous, I peeked through the front window the entire time recording the truck as it sat and as it departed. 


Am I an overprotective documentation geek when it comes to my dolls? You bet I am!

Related Link



©Black Doll Collecting/dbg

There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.

__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

If you're not already a subscriber, visit, "like" and follow the Black Doll Collecting Facebook page or bookmark the Black Doll Collecting home page and visit on Tuesdays and Thursdays when typically new posts are published.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!