Monday, March 30, 2015

One of a Kind Photo Face Doll

One of a kind Photo Face Doll

Found on Ruby Lane, this sad-faced photo doll arrived to me earlier this month.  The seller described the doll as a 14-inch photo face doll by Judi Hunziker.  The artist's name rang a bell, but I was focused on the doll and purchased it immediately.

For quite some time I have wanted a doll made on the style of the early 1900s Babyland Rag dolls with realistic lithographed faces and/or a Johanna Art Doll by Barbara Thiery Buysse.  Both usually cost more than I am willing to pay.  A Babyland Rag doll's condition as well as what it might have been exposed to throughout the years would be causes for concern. So I have shied away from those for that reason.  The formerly unnamed doll has served to quench the desire for this doll type.

After the doll's arrival, I asked assistance from fellow collectors to help with a name.  The name chosen was Autumn Grace.  I still wondered what the artist had named her, so I Googled "Judi Hunziker."  The search results jogged my memory of purchasing an Izannah Walker-type black doll from her a few years ago.  In the Google search result were links to the artist's blog and her Etsy shop.  I contacted her through Etsy.

Our conversation:
Hi Judi,

I purchased a photo doll that is attributed to you. I would like more information about the doll. Did you name her? What inspired you to use this particular picture? Is the hair made of human hair? Any additional information would be appreciated. Thanks.
Oh Mercy , I made this doll so long ago. If she has a date it would be written on her backside which might help me find more information in the archives of my blog. I found a picture of a little African-American boy and fell in love with the innocent look so I printed it out on fabric and made this little girl. The hair is curly mohair. I am sorry I don't recall giving a name, sometimes I just leave it up to the buyer. It looks like the previous owner/s have kept her in good condition which is great to see. I hope you enjoy the "Olde Time Dolls©", Judi
Hi Judi!

Oh my goodness, her name was right there under my nose, or or on her back.  You wrote:

"Laura"
by Judi Hunziker
2010

Not knowing her original name, I had named her Autumn Grace.

Thank you for the additional information.

It is indeed wonderful to know "Laura's" story, particularly that the photo used was of a little boy.  Since she looks more like an Autumn Grace than a Laura to me, I have chosen to keep that name.


dbg

17 comments:

  1. Great that you were able to contact the original owner. I like background stories on the dolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy about making contact with the owner as well, MDW.

      dbg

      Delete
  2. Autumn Grace is such a cutie! Congratulations on getting her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting doll! Does her face have any depth to it, or is the face laid flat against the head? Great that you could find out more info on her. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Farrah Lily - the face is flat without actual depth.

      dbg

      Delete
  4. Yes, Autumn Grace fits her perfectly! It amazing that you were able to contact the owner too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brini. I am happy that the seller provided the artist's name (which is written on Autumn Grace's back). I probably would have looked for it there had she not provided it in the description because I would have wanted to know who made her. I am thrilled to know most of her story, but would like to know who had her (other than the artist and the seller) before me.

      dbg

      Delete
  5. What a great story!

    I think she was hiding her original name because she wanted to be Autumn Grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smaller Places -- you're probably right! She doesn't look like a Laura at all.

      :-)

      dbg

      Delete
  6. I think dolls like this are so just creative and adorable. Look at that face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Muff: Dolls like this are unique, creative, truly one of a kind, which makes them extra special to me.

      dbg

      Delete
  7. Autumn Grace is quite the treasure. So realistic looking and I love how she did the hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judi did an excellent job transforming the little boy's photo into what is now a female doll. I like her two side ponytails, too. The texture is realistic and very soft.

      dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!