Monday, May 15, 2017

Made to Move Barbie and Gabby

Made to Move Barbie has been here nearly a year, remaining confined to her packaging.  Gabby urged her to come on out now; so she did.
In a comment to my initial post about my Gabby Douglas Barbie, Ms. Leo asked:

Does the MTM body she is on have a longer neck or is it just a different style head than the MTM? She looks a little darker than the yellow top MTM. Is she?
The two dolls do share the Made to Move Barbie body; however, there are subtle differences.  In answer to Ms. Leo's two questions, the neck lengths are the same, approximately 1/2 inches long each. Gabby is, in fact, slightly darker than Made to Move Barbie.  See the complexion and other differences between the two bodies in the photos shared below:

Gabby's complexion is slightly darker than MTM Barbie's with Barbie's having more yellow undertones to her caramel complexion and Gabby having more red undertones.

Even though the flash interferes with this head-shot comparison of their complexion, Gabby's slightly darker complexion is apparent.

An arm-in-arm comparison photo illustrates the subtle differences in complexions, particularly when their free arms are compared.

Their joints are all the same as I described in Gabby's original post; however, their body markings differ.

MTM Barbie's back is stamped:
©2015 MATTEL
1186 MJ, 1, NL
MADE IN CHINA
(below this in silver letters -- the circled area in the photo -- is:)
H43HF
DHL83

The circled area on Gabby's right upper back in gold letters reads:
FGC34
K071
(The lower back reads:)
©2016 MATTEL
1186 MJ, 1, NL
MADE IN INDONESIA

They have different shaped feet with MTM Barbie's foot having a higher arch.  Foot Markings:   MTM Barbie, R2 on right and L1 on left; Gabby, R1 on right and L4 on left.

MTM Barbie is 11-1/2 inches tall.  Gabby is 11-1/4 inches tall.  MTM Barbie's over-sized head adds to her height.  Their bodies are the same size.

The height difference is more apparent in this back-to-back photo.

Red Ruffles Fashionista and MTM Barbie

Red Ruffles, who has been here much longer than MTM Barbie, has been desiring freedom and a new body for quite some time.   Since I do not care for the over-sized Asha head on MTM Barbie, Red Ruffles' wish will probably be granted very soon.


dbg
Follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black
Check out my eBay listings here.

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for the comparison! It was really good to know and something I have not seen any where else. I am surprised to know that Mattel has two types of bodies on the market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I learned something in the process, too.

      I also broke one of the waist grips of Gabby's doll stand. I have metal doll stands galore which work much better than the nonflexible-at-the-waist stand Mattel included with the doll.

      dbg

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you showed the diferences. I wondered if Gabby was really flexible. Does she have the hands/arms that let her talk on the phone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, The Grandmommy. Yes, she does have the hands/arms that allow her to talk on the phone. I didn't use any props in my original post about Gabby, but I believe there is a photo that illustrates her ability to place the palms of her hands on the side of her face. Here is the URL link to that image:
      https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DcvxDS8FXQo/WRI0GqhiYqI/AAAAAAAAQAY/Fs9wnHjaCtIThzZTH1M8vFviKXHil4f_wCLcB/s1600/DSCN2496.JPG

      dbg

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the comparison shots.
    The last sentence of this post though: hilariously ominous :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Maricha!

      Poor over-sized Asha head... I'm sorry, but you've got to go.
      :-)

      dbg

      Delete
  4. Nice comparison. It looks like the Gabby doll is pretty popular. It's nice they gave her an MTM body. Of course, as a gymnast, she would need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jaye. The Gabby Douglas Barbie is quite popular. I know several who purchased at least one or multiples.

      The MTM body will come in handy for a gymnast.
      :-)

      dbg

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the info and photos, Debbie! I haven't yet removed my MTM from the package and had not made any comparisons. I can't wait to see your Red Ruffles Fashionista on the MTM body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Roxanne! Now is the time to free MTM Barbie. Free her now.
      :-)

      Red Ruffles is patiently waiting for her transformation. I placed MTM Barbie in front of Red Ruffles' box as a reminder to do this soon. (The problem is: Both dolls are not readily visible, so I'll have to force myself to remember to do it.)

      dbg

      Delete
  6. This is great info to know. It is interesting that they gave Gabby a darker skin tone....which means that they created another skin tone. I really pray that they give us a dark skin MTM doll. That would be totally awesome!

    Red Ruffles will be so happy to be free. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you posted this. I was thinking a comparison post would be helpful but haven't had time to do one myself. I tried and failed to bond with MtM Barbie but her big head was a deal breaker. Fab Fringe (Fefi) got her body instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Fefi still thanks you for her new body, Jewell.

      I was just thinking that I will limit my non articulated doll purchases, but I do want the Afro Barbie that will be released this year.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for this comparison post, Debbie! I like that Mattel made the Gabby body a little shorter and a little darker; that makes her body more personalized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, D7ana!

      The Gabby Barbie is as unique as the real Gabby.
      :-)

      dbg

      Delete
  9. Hi Anna,

    The Gabby Douglas Barbie's skin tone is not similar to Zig and Zag. The GD Barbie is much too light. The articulated I Can Be Musician Barbie is a better match, not exact, but far better than GD. A near perfect match (if you can find one) would be a So In Style Baby Phat Kara.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just found Gabby at resale the other day. This page helped me ID her. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! I am glad to hear that this post helped you ID your doll.

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!