Friday, May 11, 2018

CoCo's Eyelash Change


First seen here, CoCo is my first crocheted doll. Her original eyelashes were plastic craft doll eyelashes. After her arrival, I swapped the plastic eyelashes for the ones shown above, which are false eyelashes made for people that I already had on hand in case a doll need arose.


CoCo's initial eyelash replacement was done with human false eyelashes.

As a rule for me, if the artist or manufacturer's vision for a doll does not agree 100% with mine, I take the liberty to make the doll my own by making the necessary changes to suit me.  Fellow doll collectors, who enjoy their dolls to the fullest, can attest to this practice as well.  With CoCo, the eyelash change was a necessity.  The first pair of false eyelashes worked well to achieve the look of realism I desired for CoCo, but...


Fuller set of eyelashes

... while shopping at Family Dollar recently for a bottle of hand soap refill, I passed an endcap display of false eyelashes which contained the above "windswept" eyelashes.  I immediately thought they would work even better for CoCo and added them to my hand-held items to purchase:  the bottle of hand soap refill and a Snickers for my husband who said, "Bring me back a candy bar," when I told him I was going to the store.

CoCo shows off her newer eyelashes which are more visible than the others.

This profile view illustrates the fullness of the newest eyelashes.


The windswept eyelashes do add the measure of realism I was seeking for CoCo.  Like the first set, I used the adhesive that was already on the eyelash strip to adhere them to her upper eyelids.  If necessary, I can add a few drops of Aleene's Tacky glue to ensure they remain in place, but I do not think that will be necessary.  She and I are both quite pleased with these.

dbg
Thank you for reading. Was this post helpful?
Follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black
View the Doll Events page for updates. Check out my eBay listings here.

6 comments:

  1. I agree that the "Windswept" lashes are a much better fit for her! I am sure she is very pleased with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Phyllis. My camera did not pick up the fine details, but these really are much better. I have also never been a fan of plastic eyelashes.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with making the necessary changes to make dolls our own. I really like Coco with her new eyelashes.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!