Monday, August 20, 2018

Panties for a 19-inch Miss Revlon-Type Doll

A 12-inch white balloon and an infant scratch mitten were used to make doll panties.

The following photos illustrate the use of two unconventional items to make panties for a circa 1960s Miss Revlon-type or 14R, high-heel fashion doll.

Doll panties can be expensive, particularly for vintage dolls.  I was in the market for a pair for a doll that arrived nude.  After finding a dress, shoes, and jewelry for the said doll, I searched several online sites for a pair of panties to cover her bare bottom.  These ranged in price from $6.99 to around $17 per pair!  A bra and panty set was priced around $13.  Shipping would be extra for all.

As frugal as I am about some things, I decided initially to try to make a pair using a headband, which I am sure would have worked, but while shopping at a dollar store for the headband, which I did purchase, I thought about using a balloon and purchased a package of white 12-inch balloons.  While looking for magnets, to use for another project, I passed infant items and spotted a package of two pairs of infant scratch mittens that looked exactly like a pair of tiny panties without leg holes.  I grabbed a package and hurried home to begin testing my ideas.

Trimming the Balloon and Scratch Mittens


The balloon panties were simple to make.  One inch, slightly curved inward, was cut from the bottom sides of the balloon leaving a 7/8-inch space for the crotch.  Then the stem of the balloon was cut away.

For the mitten panties, a 3-inch curve was cut from both sides leaving about 2-7/8 inches for the crotch.

The Balloon Panties



The balloon panties are modeled from the front, back, and sides in the above photos.  The fit is snug and works well for the desired coverage.  If using this method for doll panties, always buy white balloons because the dye in colored balloons might fade onto the doll's body.

Panties Made from Infant Scratch Mittens

Because the edges of the leg hole openings are raw and would be prone to unravel, I hand sewed lace to the edges.  See the next photo and caption.

Using approximately 5 inches of  7/16-inch-wide lace, the lace was sewn to the leg hole openings of the scratch mitten panties.  I also added a reinforcing stitch to the edges underneath the lace.  I used regular lace, but stretch lace would work better.


The combined front and back views of the scratch mitten panties illustrate the success of this repurposing task.  Because the doll wearing them was gift for a friend, I used this pair for it.

I hope this helps others who may be faced with the dilemma of finding reasonably priced undies for vintage or contemporary dolls.


dbg

Thank you for following this blog, for reading the posts, and for your comments. If you are not already a subscriber, go to the homepage. If the right sidebar is not visible, scroll to the bottom and click "desktop view," locate and click "subscribe to posts." Optionally, also subscribe to comments. There is also an email subscription box for those who would like to receive posts by email.

Follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black
View the Doll Events page for updates. Check out my eBay listings here.

8 comments:

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!