Saturday, January 18, 2020

BOTLO For 40th Anniversary 1st Black Barbie

40th Anniversary First Black Barbie

I cannot describe my excitement when I saw the stock images of the upcoming 40th Anniversary First Black Barbie shown above and below.  I am happy the doll is not a replica of the 1980 doll that has already been reproduced as seen here.  Two almost identical versions are enough.

She's gorgeous!

This doll appears to use the Selma sculpt, which I will welcome warmly since I do not own a doll with that sculpt.

The doll is limited to no more than 20,000!

The 40th Anniversary First Black Barbie is described on the back of the box (minus a double-word error) as follows:

Making her debut in 1980, Black Barbie became the first-ever black fashion doll to actually have the name Barbie. She wore a stylish red dress and had her hair in a curly Afro hair style; she sparked a new era of possibility for girls everywhere. To celebrate her ruby anniversary, 40th Anniversary First Black Barbie doll wears a flowing, trumpet-styled gown with cut-away sleeves, inspired by her iconic original outfit.  Her hair is styled in a sophisticated up-do, a subtle nod to her original look.  Finishing touches include golden hoop earrings, necklace, and a matching clutch. Then, like now, this doll captures the original doll's signature statement: "She's black, she's beautiful, she's dynamite!"

Additional Stock Photos




The doll is listed on Amazon UK in what appears to be a pre-order as
Barbie GLG35 Playset. She should be available to U.S. buyers soon for $39.99. A Google search offered the description that will be on the Barbie Mattel website, but the link led to their home page at the time of this publication.  Amazon . com should have her as well.

According to a Barbie Fan Club Member, the doll will be available at the Barbie Mattel website on 02/03/20. I will continue to be on the lookout (BOTLO) between now and then.

Update 2/1/20.  She is on Amazon at the time of this update.

dbg


There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.
__________

Thank you for following, commenting, and sharing using the share button below.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

13 comments:

  1. She is so elegant with her lovely complexion, her textured hair and her face. And the material of the dress seems to be good quality. I hope the actual dolls will be as gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my hope too; that the actual dolls will be as lovely.

      dbg

      Delete
  2. She is stunning! I love the Selma sculpt too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Selma sculpt on her. I didn't like it on Selma. It's all in the facial screening.

      dbg

      Delete
  3. I live in the UK, so I just looked her up on Amazon.co.uk - and she's just under £69!!! I can wait for her to be for sale in the US and buy her for less, including the customs and shipping charges, I'm guessing. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're able to get her at a better price. The price on Amazon.co.uk is too much for me when I know the price will be much less than that if I exercise patience, which I never have a problem doing. Paying regular retail or a sale price is always better than paying extra just to get the doll first or sooner in my opinion.

      dbg

      Delete
  4. When I heard that Mattel was going to be producing a doll to celebrate Black Barbie's 40th anniversary--I was bursting at the seams! (Not literally--no need to patch me up.) I was so excited but at the same time I was worried that she would be another replica of the original, like you said- we really don't need three of the same doll even if the variations are slightly different. All I can say is YAY! YAY! YAY! She is SO beautiful and I love her complexion and her facial makeup. I didn't particularly care for the afro pony puff originally because I wished that they used an authentic afro -- but her pony puff ties the entire look together and makes her look more modern! (I think that might've been the idea, duh Tiffany.) I can't wait to get my hands on her. She's spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tiffananigans, you are going to love her!

    dbg

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!