Monday, January 1, 2018

Luvabella an Interactive Baby Doll by Spin Master, LTD.


Luvabella, "love comes to life," a doll by Spin Master, LTD.

Described as one of the hottest toys of the 2017 Christmas season, Luvabella by Spin Master, LTD. was a requested Christmas gift from my daughter.  I initially was on the fence about the doll but after viewing another collector's video, I asked my daughter to buy Luvabella for me.  She found it the same day on Amazon dot com.

Close-up of Luvabella's face while still in box.
The side panels of her otherwise see-through box illustrate the doll and describes a couple of things that make her interact:  Tickle her and she giggles.  Calm her with her soother (pacifier).
The back panel of the box illustrates a little girl holding the doll (cropped out of the above photo) and further describes some of the things Luvabella can do.

It took several days for me to remove the doll from the box.  The main reason was that I needed the four size C batteries required for operation.  After purchasing those, it took another 24 hours before I freed Luvabella from the box to test her functionality.


Before the test, her spreadsheet doll inventory description was recorded as follows:
17-inch tall interactive doll has silicone face over firmer material, hard plastic body, vinyl arms and legs, brown blinking eyes, black eyelashes.  Babbles and speaks 100+ words and phrases, has affectionate expressions and movements, responds to accessories of  lamb, bottle, and pacifier.  Chews when fed with spoon; can be rocked to sleep with  pacifier; makes drinking sound when bottle fed.  Can be burped.  Laughs when tickled.  Says "Mama" when top and bottom of feet are pressed.  Has an audible heart beat when chest is touched.  Moves eyes, head, and arms when responding and has many other interactive features.  Dressed in pink  dress with pink and white hearts on skirt, solid pink panties; has molded brown hair, pink headband.  My doll wears a short Afro wig.
Luvabella's back has an on and off switch on the left, which also adjusts the volume.  The switch on the right determines her language.  The A (left) position is for English.  The B (right position is for French).  When pressed, the large oval back button wakes her up when she falls asleep.

The above, out-of-the-box, first photo illustrates everything that is included with the doll:  instruction booklet, interactive "soother," interactive lamb, interactive spoon, and interactive bottle.  A card with the company's 800# was also included in the package.

Because I don't particularly care for molded or sculpted hair, I added an Afro wig, which improves Luvabella's appearance.

Pros
  • Innovative, but similar interactive dolls have preceded her.
  • Fun.
  • Engaging.
  • Her initial language is babble, but with time and human interaction it is supposed to advance.  (I have already realized her language progress each time she is turned on.)
  • Available in blonde, brunette, and with dark brown molded hair.
  • Moderately priced based on what an adult collector might pay.

Cons
  • I do not care for the mechanical sounds she makes while interacting.
  • Often seems to have a mind of her own, but eventually responds to her interactive toys and human touches.
  • Molded hair -- good for the younger set, but she looks better with hair (or a wig).
  • The retail price of around $99 might be cost prohibitive for some parents.

Watch the following promotional video, then watch my doll in the second video.



My first Youtube video featuring Luvabella:


What do you think of Luvabella?  Do you find her creepy or cute?

dbg
Thank you for reading. Was this post helpful?
Follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black
View the Doll Events page for updates. Check out my eBay listings here.

11 comments:

  1. Adding the wig makes Luvabella much more appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Gini. I knew I was going to wig her before she arrived. Her head, however, is much larger than I expected. She wears a size 15 wig!

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  3. YIKES -- a size 15 wig! I would have guessed a 12. Clearly Luvabella has a large brain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
    It's huge.πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off having seen this doll I thought she was creepy...I have to admit though with the addition of the wig, she looks great, and watching your upload she definitely grew on me. “No we are not playing peek-a-boo!” πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
  6. The afro looks great on her...more life like.Where did you purchase the wig if you don't mind my asking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please pardon my delay in answering your question. The wig was purchased several years ago from a dolls supply catalog: Dollspart. They no longer carry that wig, but the size that Luvabella wears is size 15.

      dbg

      Delete
  7. She looks great in the wig. I am making a beanie for a friends doll, would you mind measuring the circumference of her head for me? I dont have a doll to measure, and I cant seem to find any info online.
    TIA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post the head circumference later today.

      dbg

      Delete
    2. Luvabella's head circumference is the same as her wig size, 15 (inches).

      dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!