Monday, July 20, 2020

Mollie Lewis

21-inch clay and cloth doll

Found on Etsy while looking for another type doll as a reference for someone, I was intrigued by this 21-inch doll that the seller described as being made of solid plaster. Because of her charming face, I placed the doll into my cart and completed the purchase.

This is the only picture I have of my paternal grandmother, Mollie Lewis, who died when my father was three.
Named after my paternal grandmother, Mollie Lewis is 21 inches tall. Her head, lower arms, and feet are sculpted from solid plaster or heavy clay. She has a dark brown cloth body which is stuffed.

Mollie's face can be seen better in this close-up photograph.
Mollie has painted facial features and molded black hair that is parted down the middle with a molded twist that extends to the back on each side.

Mollie's sculpted hair from the back can be seen in this photograph.
Dressed in a full-length white dress with embroidered flowers at the neckline and pink smocking at the top, Mollie wears a knit top, a full-length off-white undergarment, and pantaloons underneath her dress.


She wears molded-on, mock-lace-up black boots


Mollie is marked "ETG © VT" within a circle with an "M" to the right of the circled letters. Undated, Mollie was fashioned after dolls from the late-1800s/early-1900s. She was probably made during the 1980s.

dbg


There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.
__________

Thank you for following and sharing my posts using the share button below. Use the contact form on right of the home page to contact me.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!