Thursday, August 29, 2019

Authentic Russian Nesting Dolls by Svetlana Lukina

Set of 5 Matryoshka dolls by Svetlana Lukina, photograph courtesy of the artist

I wrote about this Matryoshka set in April 2019 here and posted the above photo on my Instagram page with the caption, "Not mine, but I wish they were."  I must have spoken this set into existence into my collection that day.

As blessings would have it, I was able to purchase the artist's first nesting dolls that feature brown-skinned Victorian-era children in June of this year.  They arrived from Russia on July 22, 2019, and are more magnificent in person than I could have ever imagined!

Much larger than I had realized initially, they range from 2-to-7 inches.  In addition to the brown-skinned children on the front, draperies are painted on the back of all except the second doll, which has a beautiful field scene.  I have attempted to capture the front and back of each doll and have also included comparison photos to illustrate the size of this set.

The unnested set is shown with a blank set of nesting dolls.  This set is twice the size of the blank set (the largest doll shown, in the blank set, is 4 inches tall).

The unnested set is shown in a size comparison with Madame Alexander's 8-inch Africa doll.

The front of dolls 1 through 5 is shown here.
Nesting dolls from the back

The following pictures are individual photos of the dolls from the front and back in side-by-side angles.
Doll 1, front and back

Doll 2 from the front, back, and side

Doll 3, front and back

Doll 4, front and back

Doll 5, front and back

Again, they are magnificent works of art!  A machine-created Russian nesting doll set in any size is no comparison to an individually hand-painted, one-of-a-kind set by a Russian artist!

I hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Svetlana Lukina sells her dolls through Etsy here.


dbg


There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.
__________

Thank you for following, commenting, and sharing using the share button below.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I am really happy you managed to purchase these dolls. They deserved to be in the house of someone who could truly appreciate them. I couldn't think of a better home for them than your collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Arlette! The artist made a set of white nesting dolls some time ago. I asked if she had plans to make a black set (not for me). It was just a question, but she made these almost immediately. I could not justify the purchase then, but I could this past June. In due time, good things come to those who wait.

      dbg

      Delete
  2. I have never seen black nesting dolls. Your collection never ceases to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!