Thursday, January 20, 2022

Buy Black Features a Chapter on Black Dolls


Aria S. Halliday, assistant professor in the Department of Gender and Women’s Studies and Program in African American and Africana Studies at the University of Kentucky, has written a book that includes a chapter on Black dolls. "The second chapter is all about Black dolls, including Shindana and Mattel!"—Aria S. Halliday 

Buy Black: How Black Women Transformed US Black Culture "examines the role American Black women play in Black consumption in the US and worldwide, with a focus on their pivotal role in packaging Black feminine identity since the 1960s. Through an exploration of the dolls, princesses, and rags-to-riches stories that represent Black girlhood and womanhood in everything from haircare to Nicki Minaj’s hip-hop, Aria S. Halliday spotlights how the products created by Black women have furthered Black women’s position as the moral compass and arbiter of Black racial progress" (University of Illinois Press).

This 216-page book contains 34 color photographs and has a proposed publication date of 03/22/22. It can be preordered now.

In a personal note from the author dated October 14, 2021, Ms. Halliday wrote:

Hi Debbie! 

I hope all is well. 

I just wanted to say thanks again for your help with my research on Black Barbie! The cover is still being finalized, but the pre-order link for my book Buy Black: How Black Women Transformed US Pop Culture is available now: https://www.press.uillinois.edu/books/?id=83zmd7ed9780252044274

Be well,

Aria

I left this post in draft mode until the cover image was available. Here again, is the buy link. I look forward to receiving my copy. 

dbg


There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.
__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!