Tuesday, January 25, 2022

My Mini-me Doll

Little Debbie was ready to come home.

During the latter part of 2021, I commissioned doll artist, Karen Oyekanmi of Kissing Kousins Dolls to make a felt doll using a picture taken of me at age 3-1/2. 
At favorite cousin's birthday party in February 1959

The photo she used is my favorite remaining childhood photo taken at my favorite cousin's 1st birthday party in February 1959. I've always wanted a doll fashioned from this photo, and I chose Karen O. to make it.

Karen sent several photos of the doll before shipping it to me, some of which are shown in the collage photo above. 

After the doll arrived, I took the following photos, the captions of which describe my mini-me that Karen appropriately named, Little Debbie.

This is Little Debbie's first picture after I opened the shipping box.

Little Debbie is 20 inches, made of felt, with painted facial features.

My mini-me wears a pastel blue/pink/white plaid dress that has a drawstring neckline and white ribbons at the shoulder closure. The undies match the fabric of the dress. A light blue crinoline half slip, white sandals, and a birthday hat made of the dress fabric accented with pink felt circles and a ribbon tassel complete her costume.

Made from black mohair, the hair is pulled back into a tiny curly pigtail. She holds a wired pink heart in one hand and a blue felt gift box in the other. She also has a K&K hangtag. Little Debbie is able to stand with support or sit as illustrated in this picture.

She has a sweet face that captures the innocence of a 3-1/2-year-old child.

With the picture Little Debbie is fashioned after visible on my monitor, I sat her on my laptop and took this "side-by-side" picture.

This photo was taken from a different angle.

She found a dolly to hold.

Close-up of dolly

These are Little Debbie's toys.

A chipmunk and four miniature brown babies were inside the blue felt gift box. Too cute, right?

Certificate of authenticity

Little Debbie's certificate of authenticity states she is a Kissing Kousins Dolls one-of-a-kind creation handcrafted by artist Karen Oyekanmi. The certificate is signed by the artist and dated January 15, 2022. She shares the same month and day of birth as Dr. Martin Luther King.

I love my mini-me!

About the Artist: Karen Oyekanmi is a professional doll artist and designer with over thirty years experience in the art industry. In 1983, she founded Kissing Kousins Dolls, a nationally recognized company, specializing in handcrafted limited edition dolls. In 1984, Karen founded the American Black Beauty Doll Club, now known as the American Black Beauty Doll Association. It is the oldest Black doll-making organization in America.


dbg


There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.
__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

If you're not already a subscriber, visit, "like" and follow the Black Doll Collecting Facebook page or bookmark the Black Doll Collecting home page and visit on Tuesdays and Thursdays when typically new posts are published.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!