Monday, October 5, 2009

Totally Dolls...

Yesterday was a perfect day. I completed two doll articles that both have a first-week-of-November deadline. Next, I opened up five packages that arrived between this past Wednesday and Saturday. It was like Christmas in October. All of my new dolls have been acclimated to their new environment, and I managed to photograph them and enter their information into my doll database. 


One of the new dolls arrived nude, requiring clothing and shoes. After finding clothing for this 1950s baby and allowing her to borrow a pair of shoes from another doll, the other doll became shoeless. So what did I do? I made a pair of flat sandals using foam sheets. Here's what I did:


• First I traced the doll's foot onto a white foam sheet. I used this as a pattern for tracing the soles for both sandals by flipping it over to trace the sole for the other sandal.

• After tracing this three additional times using both yellow and white foam, I used a 1-inch wide x 2-1/2-inch long piece of white elastic to create the top of the sandal.

• The elastic was stapled to the undersurface of the white foam on both sides, allowing enough space for the doll's foot to fit between the elastic and the white foam.

• Next, I glued the yellow foam to the bottom of the white foam using Aleene's Tacky Glue.

• Paper clips and paper clamps were used to hold the two pieces of foam in place while the glue dried.

• I repeated these steps to create the other sandal.



Lil Miss Make-Up, (an inherited doll from my daughter's childhood collection), who unselfishly gave up her shoes, now has sandals to match her yellow and white pants outfit.

Yesterday was, indeed a dolly good day.

dbg

2 comments:

  1. Nice tutorial, Debbie! Good to have for shoeless dolls who cannot fit standard shoes.

    Sounds like you had a great, fun dolly day ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her shoes are so cute! You are very creative!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!