Saturday, July 2, 2011

Vintage Dolls Have Stories to Tell, An Exhibit

Topsy Turvy, Lester ventriloquist dolls, and Shindana's JJ from my personal collection

An exhibit of 120 vintage Black dolls from the collections of two brothers will be displayed from July 3, 2011, through mid-August 2011, from 5 to 8 p.m. at  the Eastville Community Historical Society, 139 Hampton Street, Sag Harbor, New York. 

The article, "Vintage Dolls Have Stories to Tell," by Annette Hinkle offers addtional information about the exhibit.  Read it here.

dbg

4 comments:

  1. This would be awesome to see! I am loving your JJ! What size is he?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vanessa,

    JJ is 15 inches tall. His head is vinyl; the rest is cloth.

    I wanted to closely replicate the image used in the article about the exhibit. I have a Flip Wilson doll, but he's stored in a trunk that has dolls sitting on top. I didn't want to disturb those dolls to get to Flip.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had known about this exhibit a month ago! I loved the black fashion dolls of the 1950s and have collected a few of them as models for couture doll clothing. Some of them appear in my gallery at the following link:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/47302705@N07/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fashions are beautiful. I would love to own the black doll you're using to model them!

    Thanks for sharing the link.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!