Thursday, February 3, 2011

My Celebration of Black History

Franklin Mint's Michelle Obama with background image of President Obama
Photograph courtesy of SONOFELLIS, Bobby Jones

My celebration of Black History is 24/7, 365 or 366 depending on leap or non-leap years. The shortest month in the calendar year is simply not enough time for me to celebrate or cover in blog form the remarkably outstanding contributions and strides of Black people in America and globally.

New readers are referred to my daily blog entries for the entire month of February 2010, which cover Moments in Black Doll History (MIBDH).  Link to those on the right-hand side of this blog under the heading:
Blog Archive
>2010
>February

or by entering MIBDH in this blog's search box.

I will, however, post a few black-doll historical tidbits throughout this month and as always whenever the Spirit moves me.

Also check out the following blogs:
Ten Top Black History Dolls
Happy Black History Month
Ms. Black History



dbg

Please adhere to copyright notice (see bottom of blog).

3 comments:

  1. Reading about the Topsy Turvy doll was very interesting. I know the theories behind why even today Black children, in general, prefer White dolls. I have frequently seen White children carrying their Black dolls throughout the malls, etc. Is there a theory behind this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a concrete theory about white children owning black dolls. I have not seen that here. Perhaps white parents whose desire is to teach their children diversity and acceptance of others are inclined to buy black dolls or dolls representing other cultures. Could it be the children chose the doll they liked and the parents purchased it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are always so happy to be carrying their Black baby doll. I was thinking they had picked the doll they liked. But when I read about the Topsy-Turvy doll, it made me wonder if someone had theorized about it and tied it back to the time when they were forbidden to play with them.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!